The Louvre and Wine


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 13th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.8566, 2.35097

Today a visit to one of the largest and arguably the most famous museum in the world, the Louvre. They say that if you looked at every piece of art in the Louvre for 30 seconds without any breaks, it would take you 100 days to see it all. Well, we walked pretty much the whole thing in around 6 hours. Needless to say, we didn't look at every piece of art. We browsed, and stopped at famous pieces, or whenever anything would catch our eye or take our fancy. If there was an exam at the end, we would have scored probably between 1 and 5%. The museum is huge, divided into three sectors, across four levels, beneath the famous glass pyramid above the centre. It was a good day to be indoors, cold, dreary and drizzling rain constantly. Despite a half an hour wait in the rain for entry, we didn't get too wet.
We made a point of seeing the most famous masterpieces at the least, including the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, the Coronation of Napoleon, the Akhenaten, the Code of Hammurabi, and the Great Sphinx. Sadly, the Winged Victory of Samothrace was being restored and not on display. There was such a variety of art to enjoy, paintings, sculpture, Roman, Greek, Babylonian and Egyptian antiquities, tapestries, furniture and more.
We walked the entire thing, and by the end, we had pretty heavy legs. Poor Nat will never want to see another museum.
Well given the dreary weather, lack of time and extremely high cost of wine tours from Paris, we aren't going to be able to do one at this stage. So tonight, we did the next best thing and went to a wine tasting bar in Paris called O'Chateau. Here, you could enjoy wine and food tasting from all over France. We shared one three course meal, cheeses, duck, salami, pickles, bread, lamb chops and potatoes with chocolate caramel ganache for dessert. We also got stuck into several wines, which I'll record here for future reference;
White: Rhone Lilac 2012, Lore Saumur 2010.
Red: Bordeaux Saint Emillon 1er Grand Crh 2001, Bordeaux Moulis en Medoc 2002, Languedoc Cote du Roussilon Villages 2006, Languedoc Faugeres 2010, Languedoc Coyeaux du Languedoc 2010. The Laguedoc region is something to remember as good value for money. An improving region.
Full and satisfied, we decided to go bask in the Eiffel Tower in the evening. It was drizzling by now, but that didn't dampen our spirits. We caught the pretty tower light show at 9pm, sparkling brightly amid gloomy mist. What a great day. Just one remaining day in Paris, tomorrow a trip to Montemarte.


Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Useless ManThe Useless Man
The Useless Man

No head, no arms and no genitals
Mona LisaMona Lisa
Mona Lisa

Cringe at the reflected crowd


26th September 2013

Thank you !!!!!
26th September 2013

Love this!

Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb