The seductive side of Nice & Monaco


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 13th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.7034, 7.2662

I read on a major newspaper website that Nice is like a "courtesan" and wasn't quite sure what that meant at first but now I think I understand. I thought after the relative gentleness of Corsica we might find Nice too busy and crowded. It is busy but its also exciting and interesting and strangely seductive.

If it was anything specific that made Nice seem this way then maybe it was the Promenade de Anglais at dusk after a late dinner, walking amidst couples strolling hand in hand enjoying the last of the evening light shining on the waters of bay, as the sun disappeared behind the cliff face opposite. Or maybe it was the many little piazzas buzzing with diners chatting and laughing and enjoying the great food and carefree ambience. Or perhaps it was the old town with its markets and shop fronts selling pretty much everything. The pastries, the cheeses and the flowers definitely caught my eye but what was most entertaining was the fish market where giant sized seagulls attempted to swoop down and score a free feed only to be thwarted by a fishmonger with a loud voice and big stick! What really did it for me though I think, was the fact that you could sit in a cafe and enjoy a few drinks and snack on some local specialties and watch the passers by for hours and never get bored. But then again maybe it was the beautiful and oh so French meal we enjoyed at a small restaurant overlooking the marina while discussing which luxury yacht we didn't have the money to buy.

In comparison Monaco is more about the toys. Boats and cars of every conceivable size but mostly very expensive and ostentatious. Multi million dollar luxury yachts of outrageous proportions are lined up at the marina and are dwarfed only by the steep cliff faces which surround the marina on all three sides. The royal palace stands proudly at the top peering out over the century old buildings set into mountainside as well as the newer apartment buildings which stand higher up on the cliffs.

Every conceivable luxury car dealer is represented on the street near the yacht club so it wouldn't be far to walk to get yourself a nice new flash car when you became tired of your present one. Needless to say the most expensive and exotic cars are seen in abundance here, worn like a badge by the younger and the older men and driven as fast and as loud as possible through the tunnel which forms part of the Formula One racing circuit each May. Many a blond young lady could also be seen driving an exotic car to and from the marina. Although some women chose to drive in a strange one person vehicle or a scooter with a roof.

The affluence is clearly visible in the pallatial hotels, most of which have the word "palace" in the title for good reason, some walled totally with marble or something equally exotic. We peered into a few of the most exclusive looking restaurants past tightly suited waiters and crisp white tablecloths. It appeared it might cost way more than we could afford just to walk in the door. The views from the restaurant windows would no doubt be spectacular. We have all seen pictures and videos of Monte Carlo but its difficult to appreciate until you see it how the city is built almost entirely on a cliff face surrounding a beautiful bay.

When you first arrive after an half hour train ride from Nice along with the hordes of commuters and other tourists, you walk out into the street which is many, many metres above sea level and wonder how you actually reach the centre of the city without a parachute. Its pleasing to eventually find a set of very long stairs that takes you all the way down to ground level. That is until you realise that you will eventually have to climb back up those same stairs!

Apparently seven million tourists visit Monaco each year. Despite the existing population of 40,000 residents plus the thousands of workers and holidaymakers that descend on the city every day the surrounding waters of the picturesque bay remain clean and crystal clear. As you stroll around the bay taking in the sights you can stop and look down from and any viewpoint above and clearly see the rocks and fine sand beneath the lapping waters. Walk a little further and you come across a beautiful Japanese garden planted like an oasis in the midst of the bustling city and a welcome relief from the sun on a warm day.

Eventually we felt we had our fill of the vibe that is Monaco and left it there in all its glory. Still packing up the last of the grandstands and check points from the race now ran and won a couple of weeks ago, but all the while demonstrating that it is a always a place for winners.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



19th June 2015

Looks hot and fast Andy - bet you would be more interested in a red Multistrada!!

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb