Another Educational Day


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 13th 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Great Sphinx of Tanis01 Great Sphinx of Tanis01 Great Sphinx of Tanis

This is made of granite in 2600 BC.
Geo: 48.8566, 2.35097

Headed to the Louvre today, didn't know what to expect from the most well known museum. Only waited 5 minutes to get in. Got an audio guide so that I could learn more about some of the works. Headed off to the Egyptian area first, which was huge!! The stuff here is so ancient, its hard to comprehend the age. Saw lots of coffins beautifully decorated inside and out. Saw a female mummy who was perfectly preserved. After viewing lots of Italian paintings including some Botochelli that were falling apart. I made it to the Da Vinci's Mona Lisa- where there was a large crowd. Seems to be quite a simple painting- overrated?. There were quite a few of Ruben's works, who I learnt about at uni. There was a whole room of Ruben's paintings that the De Medici's commissioned him to paint. Also saw Donatello and Michaelagnelo's sculptures. The Louvre is too much for 1 day - so much to see and take in.

Caught a bus to the Conceirge, where over 4,000 prisoners have stayed until they met the guillotine!!

Marie Antoniette was here for 2 months until her head was chopped off.

Got another bus to the Place of the Concorde. Which is a historic square. In the middle there is an Obelisk that's 3,200 years old from Luxor. In the distance I could see the Arc di Triomphe, so I caught the bus there. While I was waiting for the bus, everyone else was walking there, which made me feel slightly lazy. Took a few more photos of the arc, then went to find the cafe from the other day with cheap sweets!!After some energy food I caught the metro to the Pompidou Centre which looks stupid and ugly from the outside. It has modern art, which is debatable. Saw Picasso, Matisse and lots of rubbish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

08  Horus08  Horus
08 Horus

Horus is a god.
20 Coffins20 Coffins
20 Coffins

Beautifully decorated inside and out.
21 Coffins21 Coffins
21 Coffins

More beautifully decorated inside and out.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb