Keith & Teresa in Europe

France's flag
Europe » France
April 21st 2016
Published: May 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post


Flew to London to met Keith and Teresa from Texas. We flew into Gatwick and as our flight was delayed slightly we were worried we would be late in meeting K&T at Heathrow. However, as they took so long getting through customs (over an hour) we were waiting for them. That night we caught up with some friends of theirs and went out for an Indian dinner – new for K&T


London Eye, Thames boat tour, Big Red Bus, M&M world and dinner at a weatherspoons pub. Full on England day, no time to rest


Early start, pick up by a prepaid taxi, then an hour drive to Southend Airport. Easiest international flight we’ve ever done, customs a breeze, no long queues on both sides and a short hour flight to Caen. We collected our hire car from the airport and drove up to Omaha Beach. Visit to the museum, walk on the beach, visit to the American cemetery and then down to Kim and Ian’s for the night. Great to see them again and as usual, what an amazing dinner they provided.


Another great breakfast served by K&I and then we were off to Mont St-Michel. K&T went into the Abbey, Phil and I did our normal walk out and about and then settled down to read until they’d finished. Then the long drive to Paris (well just out of Paris - near Orly Airport). This Air B&B was not as good as the London one, but after all, we just needed a place to sleep and the beds were clean and comfortable


Train ride up into Paris, then big red bus tour, including stops at Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower where K&T went to the top, Lindt Café and Galleries Layfette. Caught the last red bus back to our train stop, a few drinks were required in a bar before making the train trip back to our place. Back before dark, and Chinese takeaway for dinner


Very early start to return the car and get to Orly airport by 0500. Orly a bit larger than we expected and customs took longer than expected too. There was no time to sit around, grabbed a quick coffee and then we were boarding. A short flight and we were landing in Amsterdam at 0900. Debby was there to pick us up and then it was off to Keukenhof. A lovely sunny day for strolling through the amazing tulip gardens. Debby came back to collect us at 1300 and then we went to The Hague to visit the Russian Embassy where we had an interview for our Russian visas. Debby K&T went for a stroll while we were sorting that. Finally it was time to head for the boat!!! So nice to be back on board again. Debby took us shopping, boat fully stocked, time for dinner at our fav place in Numansdorp.

Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0066s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb