Ça Prend du Courage! Tour de France, Le Nord


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
April 22nd 2012
Published: April 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

In the north, Bretagne and Normandie had us begging for more. The canals and timber-framed buildings of Bretagne provided an 'Asterix-like' biking experience, while our much anticipated return to Normandy and Sylvie's French Family was another highlight. Touring and visiting with Les Ernaults in Caen left us with great memories and insight, as they recounted their personal experiences of war time Normandy and the D-Day invasion. The war sites were very interesting and moving, particularly the Museum of Peace and Canadian War Cemetaries. Of course, all Tours finish with a trip along the Champs Élyssés, and of the City of Lights. We finished our French experience with five delirious days in Paris with glorious sites and sunshine as we cruised the town with Vélo-libre.

Everything they say about cycling in France is true. It rocks! Wide roads, patient drivers, plentiful campsites, cheap wine, phenomenal food, colourful towns, and ever-changing landscapes; the list goes on.

Being peppered with encouraging shouts of "allez! allez!" and "ça prend du courage!" provided the icing on the cake of a wonderful cycling experience. We had hardly begun our journey through France when we were already planning the next adventure. With an incomparable network of
Finding Our WayFinding Our WayFinding Our Way

A little overwhelmed after our mystical trip through King Arthur's Forest.
roads and routes, the question wasn't "Where do we go?" but "When can we come back?".

From Monaco to St.Malo, and from Provence to Paris, le Tour de France just kept getting better. La Côte d'Azur, Gorges du Verdon, Cucuron, Lot, Dordogne, Bordeaux, Bretagne et Normandie regions were truly unforgettable. Notre Tour de France was a true tour de force.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pit StopPit Stop
Pit Stop

Oddly Sylvie's brake pads were the only ones that needed replacing.
Local SpecialitiesLocal Specialities
Local Specialities

Fuelling up with the local firewater, calvados.
Tasty MoulesTasty Moules
Tasty Moules

Dijon, Roquefort, and Curry; The holy trinity of moules frites!
Les ErnaultsLes Ernaults
Les Ernaults

Sylvie's adoptive French family in Caen, and our exceptional Normandy hosts.
HonfleurHonfleur
Honfleur

One of Monet's playgrounds and the departure point for Samuel de Champlain.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb