Carcassonne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 29th 2011
Published: September 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

29 September 2011

Wendy particularly wanted to visit Carcassonne as she had just read Labyrinth by Kate Mosse which describes how in 1209 Simon De Monfort captured La Cité form the Cathars who were only allowed to return on condition that they built the other part of the ancient town, Ville Basse, which is on lower ground by the River Aude. La Cité is in the complete condition that can be seen today because it was the subject of a major 19th century renovation under the auspices of the architect, Violett-le Duc.

We started the day by going into Ville Basse to visit the tourist office. Then it was up to La Cité. During our time there we walked the wide track called Les Lices between the massive turreted twin defensive walls, visited the Basilica of St Nazire with its beautiful stained glass, had a larger lunch than we anticipated which left us bloated all afternoon, took an historical tour of the West ramparts when the guide made it clear that he didn’t think the 19th century renovation was correct, and finally went round the main inner fortress, Chateau Comtal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb