Training week


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
August 15th 2011
Published: August 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Guide training



Monday was our first training day with Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC). At this point, we still didn't know which site we would be working on - either Vimy ridge (10 guides) or Beaumont-Hamel (BH) (5 guides). Guides are placed at either site depending on family background or just particular interest.

Basic training included meet and greets and, of course, uniforms. Similar to my previous uniform with the National Capital Commission (NCC), the guide uniform here cannot, under any circumstances, be attractive. It's the sad truth, but once you get used to the uniforms, they're not so bad; you never need to worry about what to wear the next day!

We got a quick tour of both sites with very experienced guides - both back for their 3rd term this summer! Very interesting to be back to Vimy and BH with a completely different goal and view point. I will repeat this constantly : there is a complete balance in my emotions, when I walk on both sites, of sorrow and pride for my country.




Site assignement



Most recent exciting news: I have been assigned to work at BH for this fall
Mother CanadaMother CanadaMother Canada

One of the most prominent features of the Vimy Memorial.
term!

Very surprising turn of events - I am quite happy! Time to start brushing up on my "Battle of the Somme" history and researching my ancestery to try to find some link to Newfoundland.




In less interesting news, but on a day to day logistical basis : food is getting harder and harder to deal with. However, the discovery of a microwave at both the hotel and training area should make things easier. Now to figure out the grocery store's hours...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Beaumont-HamelBeaumont-Hamel
Beaumont-Hamel

My new place of work!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb