day 6


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 20th 2010
Published: July 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 6
Today started with grey skys as we left La Rochelle and we have both decided that we would like to go back sometime for another look. Its such a nice city.
Last night there were bands playing accross the water from where we were camped so we wandered along, and listened to some french acts murdering some clasic songs, then went for a look at the boats moored around the area.
The mornig started well, then after about 40km of riding, just as we passed our first 500km mark one of my pedals broke! This was a big problem . Fortunatley the next town had a Decathlon (a sports superstore) and i was able to get a replacement one there. Stoph also managed to get a speedometer for his bike so that he now knows how fast and far we have been. Although they did have bike racks they had none that would fit my bike, so my repair will have to hold out for the time being.
After fitting our new toys it was time to get some more km’s under the wheels and we raced toward the coast to a town called Royan where we hoped to find a ferry to take us across the Gironde. The map shows a ferry line so we decided to chance that it would be there and that it would be running as we forgot to reaserch it in La Rochelle. Fortunatley cycling round the coast we spotted the boat and cycled towards it and were on the next sailing.
On the otherside we found great roads and even smooth flat cycle paths and before we knew it had covered several kilometers. By now however, it was about 7pm and we had been on the road since around 9 am so tiredness and fatigue were setting in. We were on the search for a good camp spot in the sand dunes for a change and made for a spot that on the map looked amazing.
When we arived in Le Pin-Sec we were greated with the biggest campsite either of us have ever seen, full of surf camps and campervans. Never the less we locked the bikes and wandered up into the dunes to cook dinner and watch the sun go down.
We made a biviwack instead of putting our tent up and had an amazing view of the stars all night, even the mornign dew did make us pretty damp. Well worth it tho.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb