Day 11-12


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 19th 2010
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 11
Today we started off by leaving the Chinnon and driving north and west to Mont St micael. Mont St Micael is an abbey built on a large rock just off the coast. As we got closer we started seeing pop up on the horizon. It is truly a sight to behold as it pops up out of nowhere. On the rock is the giant abbey the dominates the scene and then a small village below. Just 25 people live on the island. We took a tour of the island and the abbey that was like walking through a maze of small chapels and passages ways. After the tour we had some time to wander the island and have a bite to eat. This was a place I had always wanted to go and I was not disappointed in the least bit.
We then made our way to our hotel which was out in a little town right on the coast. We played on the beach and watch the sunset before calling it a day.

Day 12
Today was amazing. For a History/Geography person like myself there are a few places that are a must see. The beaches of Normandy where the D-Day attacks took place are at the top of the list. We first drove through a couple of small cities where the airborne divisions were dropped and eventually captured. We then had a lunch stop and made our way to Point du Hoc, a place where Rangers stormed the high cliffs to capture a strategic point on the coast and take out some large guns. When the Rangers took the point they found the guns were moved, but they tracked them down and destroyed them. We then made our way to the American Cemetery. What a powerful place. We spent time looking at the monuments, wandering the grave sites and finally walked through the visitors center. Very impressive. We ended our trip to the Normandy beaches by stopping and letting the kids walk around on Omaha beach. Even though they were a bit distracted by the sea shells and washed up jellyfish, I think they got an idea of the importance of the place and the events that day in our history.
We now will get up very early tomorrow and head to PARIS.
Later
Lambert


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Walking the wallsWalking the walls
Walking the walls

Sorry I didn't rotate it before I saved it


Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb