Flea Market shopping in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
January 24th 2021
Published: January 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

19th January



Did a bit of shopping this afternoon, well maybe just window shopping but it was fun.

Saint-Ouen - Les Puces (Flea Market)



Located in the north of Paris, Les Puces is known as one of the largest Flea Market in the world.



The business of collecting (scrap metal, various rags…) has been part of Paris' life forever. At night, rag-and-bone men "biffins", or "crocheteurs" (pickers) travelled through the capital in search of their loot. Driven out of the city at the end of the 19th century by the new authorities anxious to clean up the capital , these rag-and bone men set up camp and hovel between the fortifications and the first houses built in Saint-Ouen.

The items such as mattresses that were sold were often full of fleas and people would say that there were more fleas than goods at the markets hence the nickname Flea Market was born



We popped into one shop selling beautiful vintage clothing and accessories, The store Merveilles de Babellou had the ambiance of an old time Paris boutique.

Top fashion brands of the twentieth century like Chanel,
Hermes, Yves Saint Laurent, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton and many others fill the store, The owner explained how they ship all over the world.



Another shop was selling weird and wonderful items of taxidermy, our guide was allowed in but we were told not to put photos on social media, I’ve kept a few for my own record just as a reminder.



Vintage cameras, an enormous collection of coffee pots and coffee grinders, guitars, beautiful furniture just some of the thousands of items on offer.



Perhaps the strangest was a Futuro home, Finnish architect Matti Suuronen created the Futuro model in 1968, though less than 100 of the futuristic fibreglass pods were made and fewer than 60 exist today. This one has been fully restored, complete with trademark porthole windows, a drop-down hatch staircase and original ‘sleeper’ chairs.



We visited 3 different markets.



Inaugurated in 1991, Dauphine flea market is the newest but also the largest market. Upstairs, on the second floor, the space is entirely devoted to old and ancient books, vinyl records, old photos & prints.

One of the stall holders played
out a tune on a vintage piano.



Vernaison market remains a paradise for bric a brac hunters.

The Bistro “Chez Louisette” which opened in the 30s, current closed at the moment due to Covid but usually you could enjoy a tasty traditional cuisine while listening to Manuela, a passionate singer whose repertoire consists of songs of legendary Piaf,



Paul Bert” market was created in 1946 by Louis Poré. At that time, it was the place to find practically everything but its muddy alleys were hampering its development. In 1949, several alleys were paved in asphalt and the first stores were built in this famous outdoor Paul Bert market.



It was an enjoyable time window shopping and my euros stayed firmly in my pocket but what fun to visit this very interesting place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb