Birmingham- Victoria Square


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Midlands » Birmingham
January 24th 2021
Published: January 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

19/1 Birmingham



Chores done; so time for another trip, a bit closer to home this time!



Birmingham - Victoria Square

The square was originally called Council House Square. It took its present name in 1901 to commemorate Queen Victoria.

On the west side is Birmingham Town Hall, a popular concert venue with its Corinthian columns and Roman-revival architectural style.

The Council House built between 1874 and 1879 houses part of the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.

The clock tower, known locally as Big Brum. also learnt the origin of the word ‘Brummie’



The statue of Queen Victoria is by Thomas Brock and was unveiled on 10 January 1901, just 12 days before her death. The original statue was marble. In 1992 this was taken away to be cleaned, returning in April 1993 as the refurbishment of the Square was nearing completion.

During the renovation one of the workmen was accompanied by his Black Labrador, Ebony, who had her own high-visibility vest and could often be seen carrying his tools.

Her contribution to the improved square is marked by a small plaque.



There are
several pieces of artwork. The centerpiece is The River (also known as The Floozie in the Jacuzzi), a large ornamental fountain. Indian sculptor Dhruva Mistry designed it in 1993.



In the lower pool is a group, also by Mistry, entitled Youth, consisting of two kneeling nude figures, male and female, looking at each other across a three-tiered fountain.



It made a nice change to take a trip closer to home and to learn about this historical square in the middle of modern day Birmingham.



Later I’m off to a Flea Market in Paris.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement




Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb