Exploring and remembrance


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 9th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.8694, 0.258766

Our campsite hosts Walter and Sonia are intent on their clients having a memorable experience, going that extra mile with facilities and service, such as water controls in the shower ensuring a continuous flow of hot water - far better than those frustrating push buttons - a pet hate of mine. Also, their very useful and informative handouts with details of what's going on in the local area. This led us to have an enjoyable trip out yesterday morning to Fourcès some 30 minutes away.

Fourcès - meaning 'planted with trees', is a charming little bastide town, with an unusual circular, rather than square central 'place' shaded by plane trees, plus an ancient castle, bridge, clocktower and many timbered houses. The invaluable event listing advised of an antique or 'brocante' fair taking place there throughout the day.

I am well aware from my past employment with the Royal British Legion that 8th May is VE Day (Victory in Europe) to mark the formal acceptance on that date in 1945 by the Allies of WWII of Nazi Germany's unconditional surrender of its armed forces. It was no surprise then to see a gathering crowd at the 'Mairie' (town hall) followed by a pair of standards heading up a parade to the war memorial to pay their respects. Beside the main memorial is a smaller one dedicated to the Wheelwright circuit of the SOE (Special Operations Executive), a small band of members of the British armed forces who formed part of the resistance movement to rid France of the Nazis. Amazingly brave men and women if you look up what they did.

We browsed the numerous open air stalls selling all manner of old and pseudo-old bric-à-brac, from furniture to records, and the regular village shops. A brass plaque showing a couple of cyclists seemed a fitting souvenir, despite our reluctance to add to our travelling weight, and David duly bartered with the stall owner to arrive at an acceptable price. (Shades of 'Bargain Hunt!) After a sampling session, we also bought a bottle of Floc which may or may not make it back to the UK.

The weather today has been overcast and a little chilly, so we haven't ventured out and about, but I have almost finished another paperback!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb