Sunshine at last


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 14th 2014
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Home is where you park itHome is where you park itHome is where you park it

Our new des' res'
Geo: 45.426, 4.92821

It was an interesting night's sleep beside the lake, being interrupted by noises from the assorted wildlife, including what sounded like chattering. A neighbouring camper said it was coypu - never heard that before.

We arrived at our next destination in good time, but unfortunately the reception was closed for lunch. It never ceases to amaze me that in this day and age when everyone is trying to make a living that such places still adhere to this outdated tradition. However, we checked in at 1.30 but the allocated pitch was disappointing - uneven grass and beneath trees (a few twigs rattled on the roof during our stay, but it probably sounded worse than what it was and no apparent damage done). It was cool and showery too so himself was not very happy.

We were pretty slick in packing up this morning - everything put away, rubbish taken to the bins, baguette order collected from the shop - so at 8.15 we hitched up and drove round to the entrance in order to hand in the barrier card only to find that reception did not open until 9.00. They did not mention that as I checked in the day before. I even asked at the shop if they could reimburse me for the €20 deposit, but no joy. Then I collared one of the receptionists as she arrived for work, but she was a 'jobs-worth' too and told me to return at 9.00. Within seconds of getting the money we drove off, intending never to return! It probably also highlights the difference between the smaller owner-managed sites and those of one of the camping chains, but not always.

Most of today's 250-mile journey has been on the motorway network including the impressive bit across the huge city of Lyon which we have done several times before. It's toll-free too as well. The final stretch was on minor roads and brought us to Le Bontemps, just beyond Vernioz. It is a pleasant site though we just intend to stay one night so have taken one of their simple 'stop and go' pitches which are a vast improvement on yesterday's offering. We're off to the restaurant this evening to sit beside their log fire.

As we journeyed down we saw the temperature slowly creeping up and we now have sunshine, 18degrees, though a breeze. Can't complain. We've even had the chairs out to sit in the glorious rays.

Advertisement



15th May 2014

have a wonderful time and stay safe.

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb