Pictures from Normandie


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy
October 1st 2009
Published: October 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The following pictures were taken in Normandie, France. They include Veules Les Roses, Rouen, Etretat, Giverny, Ponte du Hoc, Bayeaux. They were taken between July 19 and 24, 2009.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Etretat, Normandy Etretat, Normandy
Etretat, Normandy

Jackie, Jeff, Cyndi, and Dean with the Cote d' Albatre (Alabaster coast) in the background. The formation behind us is Aval's Porte (door). Some say that it looks like an elephant dipping his trunk in the ocean.
Our exchange home in Veules Les Roses.Our exchange home in Veules Les Roses.
Our exchange home in Veules Les Roses.

Jackie, and Jeff looking out of a window in Jackie's bedroom. A branch of Vueles River runs by the side of this home. (Cyndi crossed a foot bridge to take this picture on a small island in the middle of the stream.)
Veules-les-Roses, NormandyVeules-les-Roses, Normandy
Veules-les-Roses, Normandy

Jeff, Jackie, and Dean on a cliff looking down at the plage (beach) in Veules les Roses.
For Sale! Vueles Les Roses, Normandy For Sale! Vueles Les Roses, Normandy
For Sale! Vueles Les Roses, Normandy

This house was located in the center of town. It is one of many beautiful homes found in this old picturesque coastal town. It happens to be for sale!
Veules Les Roses Veules Les Roses
Veules Les Roses

Another home in this town.
Cyndi and Jeff on the Vueles River walk. Cyndi and Jeff on the Vueles River walk.
Cyndi and Jeff on the Vueles River walk.

Watercress is grown nearby in the river.
Veules Les Roses river walkVeules Les Roses river walk
Veules Les Roses river walk

Jeff and Dean are standing near the river where watercress is being grown.
Veules-les-Roses, NormandyVeules-les-Roses, Normandy
Veules-les-Roses, Normandy

Cyndi and Dean standing standing pier as the sun begins to set.
Jackie overlooking the channel.Jackie overlooking the channel.
Jackie overlooking the channel.

Jackie enjoying a view of the Channel, and the plage (beach) at Veules.
La Plage, Vueles Les Roses, NormandieLa Plage, Vueles Les Roses, Normandie
La Plage, Vueles Les Roses, Normandie

Cyndi standing on the beach at low tide with the alabaster cliffs in the background.
 Cyndi at Giverny  Cyndi at Giverny
Cyndi at Giverny

Giverny- Giverny was Claude Monet's home. Cyndi is standing on the actual bridge (with a horde of others) that is found in Monet's famous water lily paintings.
Rouen Cathedral, RouenRouen Cathedral, Rouen
Rouen Cathedral, Rouen

Jeff is standing near the Porte of St. John.
Rouen Cathedral naveRouen Cathedral nave
Rouen Cathedral nave

This cathedral was heavily damaged during WWII.
Jeanne d' Arc's pyre site, RouenJeanne d' Arc's pyre site, Rouen
Jeanne d' Arc's pyre site, Rouen

Joan of Arc was burned at this site in Rouen.
Vieux Marche, RouenVieux Marche, Rouen
Vieux Marche, Rouen

Jeanne d' Arc was burned in this market area.
Jumieges, a Benedictine Abbey in Normandie.Jumieges, a Benedictine Abbey in Normandie.
Jumieges, a Benedictine Abbey in Normandie.

It was founded in 654. After the French Revolution it was never again used as an abbey. It fell into ruins, and was used as a quarry for other buildings in the area.
Pointe du Hoc, Normandy Pointe du Hoc, Normandy
Pointe du Hoc, Normandy

Jeff, and Jackie walking near craters left from allied bombardment prior to the D-Day invasion of WWII. Germany had six 155mm cannons in heavily reinforced concrete bunkers. They were capable of shelling allied forces at both Utah and Omaha beach. After allied forces bombed this area for many days, U.S. Rangers with the help British seamen scaled the 100 meter perpendicular cliffs from the channel.
Omaha BeachOmaha Beach
Omaha Beach

Dean walking on a very windy Omaha Beach after a downpour.


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb