Day 5 - Gageac to Lucenay, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes
September 15th 2018
Published: September 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 5


Firstly, for those who got on early to yesterday's blog, and saw it incomplete, you can now go back and read it if you wish.

We started today with a lovely breakfast on the patio, overlooking the valley. Our hosts, Frederick and Laurent, were gracious enough to make reservations for us for tonight at Les Tilleuls in Lucenay, near Lyon.

Our first stop was at Rocamadour. This medieval village seems to defy the laws of gravity, as it juts out of a cliff 1500 ft above the Alzou river gorge. Rocamadour got it's name when the body of St. Amadour was discovered "quite whole" in 1166. Vehicles are not allowed in the city (nor would it be possible with the narrow walkways), so we took a tram from a lower parking area into the city. There are two lifts that then take you to the second level. From that point, Ray and I walked to the Church at the mountain top. This trek is up a steep, narrow path that has the Stations of the cross located along the way. It was easy to envision medieval pilgrims making the walk. There is also a stairway of 216 steps that these pilgrims would climb on their knees to atone for their sins. Since we are without sin, that's why we took the lift. The streets are very narrow cobblestone paths, and it's amazing to see how everything is carved out of, or built into the side of the mountain. After chowing down on a bagette sandwich, we headed back down to the van.

Our trip to Lucenay was mostly highways, and I must say the tolls are quite hefty, costing around $50 US.

As it seems to be the case every day, the most stressful part of the day is getting to the B &B. We traveled through small towns with the roads barely fitting two cars. At one turn we met with a large tour bus right at a sharp turn. After a lot of jockeying back and forth, we both finally made it through. Not for the faint of heart. The B & B, and its owner, Michell, were great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement













15th September 2018

Pictures remind me of Italy. Beautiful. Looks like the weather is perfect for touring around. Love reading all about it and seeing all the puctures
16th September 2018

You're right a lot like interior Italy
15th September 2018

LOL
Sandy, thank you for brightening our days with your journal, and the amusing anecdotes. You may be "without sin" but we know Ray should have done the knee walk -- twice.
16th September 2018

Think you may be right about that!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb