ss Catherine Twin Towns


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Tournon-sur-Rhône
September 4th 2016
Published: September 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

ss Catherine – Rhone River – Burgundy

Woke up this morning to the twin towns of Turnon-sur-Rhone and Tain l' Heritage. They are across the river from each other but connected by the two first suspension bridges built in Europe and before the Golden Gate Bridge. The twisting wire process was developed for these. We were guided through the small town of Turnon sur Rhone a cute medieval village. With castle cathedral and the cobbled streets. Funny thing on our walk we came across large windows looking into a spotless high tech workshop with mostly Asian people making dentures and bridges etc. It looked weirdly out of place in the old villages but obviously was making work for the locals. The guides like to talk about their socialist country. They are proud of the free health and education system. Mums never have to make cut lunch (that would be worth paying for). From age 3 they have a three course lunch at Kindy for 3Euro right through High School and Uni is also free. When asked about taxes they become a bit vague and fluff answers. One said taxes “so much we don’t know” and GST is 20%. My feeling is that there is a slight strain among the middle class to support what appears the perfect lifestyle. They are not allowed to work more than 35 hours per week and have to have two consecutive days off if they work a Saturday. Consequently, shops are mostly closed on Sunday and very quiet on Monday. The returned over the bridge to visit Tain L’Hermitage for wine tasting. This is a very famous and prestige appellation (AOC). l’ Hermitage has been in existence since 1798. In 1964 they received a perfect 10 for a wine that sold for 25,000 Euro for a bottle. Apparently last year was also a really good year for vintage resulting the vineyard having $40,000 worth of grapes stolen. With a few glasses under our belts we had a quick walk to Valhorona Chocolate factory and visitors centre. As much free samples as you could eat. Should have just stuck with that, wouldn’t be trying to pack it in my bag now. One English lady bought two large catering bags about three kilos of the 80% bitter as she bakes a lot. Back to the boat for lunch and an afternoon of sunning on the deck. Several locks and another Nuclear power station. There are 59 Nuclear Power stations in France and apparently some people have trouble paying their power bills here. Well that didn’t work it. Turns out they sell some of it to other countries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb