Day 19


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
June 6th 2015
Published: June 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We head out on foot to discover some of Lyon, too hot for the hire bikes sees us head to the transport office to figure out which buses and trains to get.

A day pass gets you unlimited travel on buses, trains and trams.

We bus down over the two rivers and get off in the original part of the city, at the bottom of the church on the hill.

Map in hand we venture up the old cobblestone laneways, which are extremely steep and you start to think of how it was all built centuries ago.

On our walk we discover some old ruins and an old ampitheatre. It seems to be used for concerts or something as they were doing sound checks on stage.

Making it to the top of the hill and looking over Lyon, you can see the two rivers and the spread of the town as the architectre changed over the years.

It was a nice spot for a rest in the shade and recharge before the walk back down the steep laneways.

It was then that we discovered there was a little train that takes you up and back in a tunnel deep into the hill.

Easy ride down to learn the tunnel was built in the early 1900's.Fairly new for anything around here.

Tested the underground trains for the journey home and didn't get lost.

For a relatively small town, the underground system is as good as London and Paris.

Visited the Carrefour Hypermarket on the way home as we can see it from our room.

Massive store at 4,358 sq metres over two levels, they are retailing machines.

Google tells me they have 226 of these hypermarkets in France.

Too stuffed for tea,finished the day with some local cheeses and meats over a drink.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb