DIJON TO LYON


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
April 29th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Is the wine good?Is the wine good?Is the wine good?

Maybe but we were 25 minutes to early so I will never know.
April 29, 2012

Final Hours in Dijon

We slept in until 10 am, still a little jet lagged, but getting better. We ate our croissants we purchased yesterday and just dinked around for a while. Took our time packing, folding the clothes we washed (they did finally dry the old fashion way) and getting ready to go.

We were so tired last night we stayed in and just snacked on pate and cheeses we had purchased earlier that day after our lunch. It was all very good as were the three bottles of burgundy (2 red 1 white). In between blogging and eating I feel a sleep regularly.

While Jerry finished getting ready I walked to the AMT to get the money to pay for the room. The room was a very good price for the size and location. When we were all packed and dressed we walked to get the car. It was bout 8 blocks away, we were a little concerned about getting back, given the one way streets that make no sense, but we managed to drive back in one dry. We said our goodbyes to Françoise and headed off for Lyon. We took only the local route today as we were driving through the heart of the wine country of Burgundy. I hoped to stop at a couple of Chateaux for some tasting, but it was Sunday so that was not to be.

The Drive to Lyon

We managed to get out of Dijon without getting lost; it seems that following street signs works much better than goggle or a tourist map. It was a beautiful sunny day, and once out of the city we were immediately in the wine country. The vines where just beginning to bud. In a few months the vineyards will be full. Traffic was light, and I can only imagine during the hei9ght of the summer and during crush that the slow roads are bumper to bumper. We drove through several small villages and past chateaux (Chateaux are the wine houses in France).

After about an hour we stopped at one Chateau, took some pictures, but did not get to taste any wine as they did not open to the public until 2 and it was 1:35, 25 minutes to early. So we continued on towards Beaune, which is the heart of Burgundy’s wine industry. The city has a wine museum and much of the old city wall is still present. Our intent was to eat lunch, but we got there 25 minutes to late and they had finished serving at most places. In stead we got ham and cheese sandwiches (a baguette, good ham and even better cheese). While in Beaune, it rained and hailed, it was the only place all day that did not have any sun.

After Beaune, we continued on our way, passing through small town after small town, carefully avoiding the autoroutes. By doing so it took us about 2 hours longer to get to Lyon, but we are on vacation and there is more to see than on the Autoroutes.

As we approached Lyon, we of course began to wonder how many hours we would drive around looking for our hotel. I had made a pdf of the section of Lyon our hotel was in, hoping that would make it easier. Amazingly we drove directly to our hotel in one try. But then we had to find parking, to no avail. We drove back to the hotel, Jerry got out (and Jerry got out, because the last time he did the circling around while I asked where to park was in Cordoba and I did not see him for an hour). I circled one time, and when I got back there was a parking space directly in front of the hotel. To make it even better the parking is free so we don’t even have to move it.

Lyon

Two Star Hotel

We checked in to the hotel and lugged our suitcases up two flights of a spiral stair case. The room is small very small, on plug in on the opposite of the room where the table is and the bathroom, well let’s just say, I have seen bigger outhouses. But it is cheap and that is what a two stair hotel is about, little money for little space or comfort. It is a big shock from the last three nights.

By the time we unpacked, and did some reading on what to do, see and eat in Lyon it was time for dinner. We headed for Rue St. Jean, a busy street on the other side of the Saone River. (Lyon is cut in two three parts by the river Saone
I said it was smallI said it was smallI said it was small

We aren't in the picture becasue only our luggage fit in the room.
and the Rhone River.) It was not far from our hotel and we quickly found a place to eat. It was full of college students and very inexpensive (both should have clued us in). The food was very average but at least cheap. I don’t have much to say about it, but for the alleged food capital of France, I am not impressed yet. Part of the problem is that it is Sunday, so most of the nicer places are closed, leaving you to choose from numerous 7 day a week and tourist establishments.

After dinner we strolled around towards the church took some pictures and walked back to the hotel. We walked down a street right next to our hotel that we should have done before dinner, tons of places to eat, all crowed and all looked and smelled better than what we ate. But tomorrow will be much better, more time to investigate and make a better choice.

Tomorrow is a walking tour of Lyon and a nice dinner.

TODAY’S EATS

Not really worth mentioning but here it is:

Breakfast

Day old croissants (always a good bet)

Lunch

Jamon y Fromage Panini’s

Dinner

We both had a Salade Lyonnais, which was the best part of the meal. Endive, leaf lettuce, lardons of bacon, poached egg all in a nice vinaigrette.

Jerry, had a bavette (hanger steak) with a St. Marcellin cheese sauce (pretty strong cheese) I had a sausage (yes a sausage it is a local dish) prepared in a brioche, I guess you could say it was a glorified pig in a blanket. Dessert was not worth mentioning.

The wine was a bottle (and I mean a refilled bottle) of Beaujolais villages wine. Very cheap but did the trick.

REVIEWS

www.luxuryflatindijon.fr This is the website for the place we stayed in Dijon. I highly recommend it. The owners live on premise, it was right in the heart of everything you want to see and walking distance to the market. The price is right.

Hotel de Bretagne Cheap yes, comfortable no, centrally located yes, recommend no.

DAILY TIPS

The star system in Europe truly means something. One star you may not have a private bathroom and it will be small with no elevator. Two star, small but usually have private bathroom may or may not have an elevator. Three star, size can vary some are small some quite roomy, almost always an elevator and breakfast can be included or added for a small price. Four star, very room, large bathrooms, comfortable, always a restaurant and bar in the lobby, parking provided (usually at a cost) helpful staff at the front desk. Five star, I wouldn’t know never stayed at one. In any event the tip is always shoot for a 3 star; you can usually find one in your price range.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb