Day Two in Lyon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
April 28th 2011
Published: May 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

It’s been cloudy today but no hint of the expected rain, perhaps later or even tomorrow morning when we are going to the station to catch the Rhonexpress to pick up the car.
We decided to have breakfast in today and for 4 euros 80 for as much as you could eat it was worth it. There is a group of high school students staying here (about 13-14 year olds) and their manners were left at home. They raced in to the dining area and lined up at the buffet as though we were invisible but once they were seated they became human again.
Another easy day today. We think we are still getting over the Tour of Turkey and the early start on Anzac Day. We still had some bus tickets left so with careful planning we were able to manage our day and only needed to buy one ticket each to get us back to our hotel. It was very cheap transport as each ticket, once validated, can be used for an hour.
We missed the Roman ruins on the hill yesterday so took the funiculaire and a short walk to the site of two Roman Theatres. After what we had seen in Turkey we gave the adjoining museum a miss. The ruins were free so the day was off to a good start. On the way down the hill we passed a school group on their way up with the teachers dressed on togas so we knew where they were going. Tummies start to grumble about lunch time so a nice pastry to eat out, much cheaper, and a wander to a nearby square for a rest. In the square is the 11th century Cathedral St Jean with a wonderful astronomical clock. We missed the noon chimes but it gave us a mini version at 12:30pm.
Our second planned visit was the Museum of Fine Arts with sculptures and paintings from the 16th century. And who did we come across but the school children we met at breakfast with their teacher. Obviously a school trip to see art. Everywhere we have been there are groups of school children on trips. Outside the museum in the square is a large sculpture by Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, creator of the Statue of Liberty.
We felt we had done enough for the day so an early return to the hotel to rest up. Tomorrow could be quite a stressful day. We have to be at the airport station by 11:00am, and no later, to be given the keys to a sparkling new Puegeot 207SW. Then we need to find our way out of the carpark and on the road to Clermont-Ferrand without going on any toll roads. It should be easy!
So an early night is called.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.632s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.3504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb