Don't sleep on LYON!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
November 27th 2010
Published: November 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Roman Theaters 33 secs
What a great day in LYON! Today, we started the day with a somber visit to the Deportation and Resistance Museum, a place that depicts the lives of the French people during WWII. We were reminded of the conditions many people lived under and the heroism they displayed. The United States was an ocean away, but France was in the heart of the fighting. Of 75,000 Jews deported from France, 2,500 returned. We are very lucky to live in the United States, and salute those people who endured hardships in Europe.

Afterwards, we climbed up a hillside called "Vieux Lyon." Here, we saw two theaters dating back as far as 15BC. The Romans are responsible for building these theaters as a place for musical performance (excellent--see video). On the top of the hillside is a large cathedral, home to many wall mosaics. Lyon is a bustling city with a small town atmosphere. There are GREAT restaurants, nice stores, and friendly people. We are sad to Lyon, but will be traveling through the Alps to Geneva, Switzerland tomorrow.

mk

Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb