Chambery


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Chambéry
June 24th 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back in FranceBack in FranceBack in France

Just outside the Frejus tunnel
We rode from Tortona to Chamberry. abut 100 km to Torino, another 100Km to Frejus, through the tunnel (and the French border is announced within the tunnel by a sign) then 100Km down to Chamberry. Riding conditions were good but Ashley will say more on that. Scenery spectacular. We have found a nice hotel but it has no internet. I'm not sure where last night's connection came from - I think it must have been the hotel.

Chamberry is pretty. It is also lively, at least by day. Today we ate too much. Breakfast in the hotel in Tortona, lunch in a service station in Italy (they do damned good lunches once you work out how to order them), excellent tarts and coffees here in Chamberry (we had a peach tart and a rhubarb and fig crumble/tart which we shared) then... I have forgotten the name of it but it's potatoes and lardons and the local cheeses. Mine was with Rebluchon, Ashley's was with St. Martin. Gloriously cheesy and creamy and we couldn't finish them.

It was a good ride after Torino. Motorways are generally not pretty or fun, but the alpine ones are way better than most. The climb from Torino was cool, some amazing views (outside of the tunnels), and we stopped to get food which is also a better chance for me to see the scenery. Coming down the far side, after Frejus tunnel was even better. Spectacular scenery, gentle bends, open road, perfect conditions, 130km/h cruise.

I want to be in St Omer by Friday evening, that is 3 days to get to northern France. Time for some gentle rides, no hurry, no rush, time to get off the motorways and see parts of France, to take the ride easy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb