Villa Rothschild


Advertisement
Published: September 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Today we take the number 2 tram to the Girabaldi stop. We check out the numerous cafes in the large plaza. When Mark spots fish and chips on one menu our decision is made. We both have the fish and chips and it is very good. We then catch the number 15 bus to Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. The bus drops us right at the entrance to the villa. The villa was built on 17 acres by Beatrice de Rothschild of the Rothschild banking and wine making family. Beatrice was a collector of paintings by the grand masters, rare rugs and rare items of furniture. She also collected porcelain and some walls are covered in tapestries. A audio guide is included in the entrance fee. Mark and I enjoy seeing the villa which is furnished in the original furniture and art. Beatrice donated the entire villa and its contents to a non profit that manages the villa the year before she died. Beatrice also collected zoo animals and she famously held a wedding for her two dogs.

The gardens are nine different gardens French, Spanish, Japanese, Florentine, Provençal, exotic, stone, rose and a garden de Spures. The property is at the top of a hill on a point. The sea is on both sides of the property with views from the villa and the garden. The main garden has waterfalls and ornamental ponds. Every 20 minutes the fountains come to life to music.

The villa has a large cafe with indoor and outdoor seating. They serve lunch, snacks and sell picnic lunches if you would rather sit on the lawn. After our tour of the villa and gardens we enjoy the outdoor cafe with a half bottle of red wine carrying the villa label. So for a half hour we enjoy the same gounds as the rich and famous.

We take the number 15 bus to the port in Nice. We enjoy happy hour at Ma Nolans before taking the number 2 tram back to our Airbnb.

I highly recommend a visit to this villa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb