Bruge, Nice, Italy a whirlwind adventure


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
July 29th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about the wauit but I have been busy with school and jst tired from traveelling. A Quick update though to know before you hear about my trips around europe last weekend, this weekend is even crazier. Laki, Aaron and I are going from innsbruck to munich, from munich to berlin, from berlin to franckfurt, from franckfurt to Luxembourg, from luxeumborg to Budapest, from budapest back to innsbruck. What a weekend that will be. Back on trakc though. THis last weekend was amazing and the story of it will entrwl you. haha. Here it goes.

So th etrain ride there was a unique experience in itself. ON the way to Brugge we had just regular seats for the first part of the journey. We were sitting in the car with a couple friends and then these two children started to run up and down the aisle. We were starting to get annoyed and then they started to close their heads in the doors between the train cars. WE were all laughing as it was onee of the most rediculous things we had ever seen. To top it off though when a man who we assumed was their father came up, he didnt chastise them but began taking pictures of their antics. The two children kept doing stranger and stranger stuff until finally the sugar rish they were on ran out and they went away. After they had left and we had switched trains it was a very calm and smooth.

Once we woke up in Brugge we realized that we should probably get our reservations to wherever we were going to go next on this trip. So we went to the tourism office and asked what was available. After we realized that we couldnt go stright back to Innsbruck tonigh Laki asked if there was anyway to get to Barcelona, which would have been awesome. The guy behind the counter tries everyway he can think off to get us there from a night train (70 euros) to getting us across the border in spain in the middle of the night and taking a regional train the next day; in the end though nohing would get us to that beautiful city. So he turns to us and says what about NIce? we look at each oither nod and say awesome. So we get our reservation which leavesa later that night on an overnight train striaght for Nice and go out to explore Brugge, which by first impressions would be amazing.

We are outside the train staton looking at a map that says there is this big cathedral at the center of town, where we want to go and realize the roof poking oover the top of the map is it. We are within eyeshot of this Cathedral, Brugge is small but awesome. So we just start to walk towards it. THe city dstreets we walk on remind me of the picturesque europe villages you see pictures off. I mean it is absolutely amazing how old everything looks. IT wa just so beautiful and as we walked to this belgian brewery for a tour. After getting our tickets we walked back to this little squarew with some restaurants to get some food. I had a really good pastry dslad for an apetizer and then a piece of steak while Laki and Aaron both had mussels. THey said they were the best they had ever had bu tthey would have better before the trip was over. So we eat and of course because the food is so good and the place so piqturesque we miiss the tour. Once we do finish eating though we walke dover and beg to get on the next our which there are only three spots left of course. We get in it though and get to go through a real brewery and see how beer is really made as they are making it. Really cool. At the end of the our we get a glass of beer that they make there and I m amzed at what really fresh micro tatstes like compared to a mass produced beer liek heinekin.

Once we leave though we decide that the Cathedrals, why we went there, should get some of our camera's attention. Wen went through town walking toward sthe towers of the cathdrals as our only guide. We found the first one which was amazing and walked around it for awhile. THis one had a hidden tresure that I didnt find out about until later. It had the only Michaelangelo to ever leave france. I saw a picture of it as it was behind glass and i couldnt get a picture and it was beautiful. I was amazied to see yet another piece of art that really made me stop and just look. Once we left this one though we went out turned around saw another tower and jus t started to walk. It really was an amazing day becasue we went to three of the most beautiful Catherdrals I have ever seen and probly ever will.

After the third Cathedral we went to the city square becasue of the call of thebell tower. IT has 47 bells at the top of it that are played on a kweyboard with your fists and feet becasue of the weight of the bells. IT was amazing to me to hear the chimes every half hour. Another thing about that was really cool was that 26 of the ells in the tower are actually still there from the 18th century. After listening for awhile we found a cafe on the edge of the square and just sat down to rest for awhile and get something to drink. The square was massive and I must have heard at least seven differnet chimes before we realized what time it was. In classical fasion we were late to get back to the train station on time so we just started to run. We got almost to where we could see it and started to walk down a side walk to where we though we could cross the street to get to the station. There was a perilous roundabout though that we had to get to theat had no cross walk. It was absolutely rediculous especially since we stopped for chocolates on the way, I mean we had to we were in Belgium. Once we got on the train though it was smooth sailing.

We wake up in France and yet again we decide that we need to get tickets. This is where France starts to not be fun. I mean the wait to get to the counter was about an hour. Once we got there the women that was helping us really didnt seem to want to be there. I mean as soon as we got up there almost she told everything was booked. After a long ordeal it ended up with here booking us to a small village just over the border and telling us that Italy would figure it out. So once we got that sorted out though we went out into NICe

Nice was nice. haha We got outa the train station and realized that we had about three hours to do Nice in so we just started wlaking towards where we thought the ocean was. We were right we come around a corner and there it is, the Mediterranean. It was such a cool sight. WE walked down the beach for while before our stomachs got the best of us so we headed up and went looking for a small place to eat. In the end we found a little cafe on a side street that had mussels that called to laki. We sat doawn and ordered, I had the best glass of house wine i have ever had. I got a pasta dish with shrimp that was geat while everyone else got seafood as well. After this we went walking again around Nice and heading back to the train station. And then we were off to Italy.

Ill edit this later I just had to get this update out before people killed me. Ill finish up with Italy later.

Advertisement



30th July 2008

Fab!
So glad you have finally updated your blog! I won't threaten you anymore : ) Nice was nice. Now that's punny.
5th August 2008

I'm jeolous!!!
You are seeing and experiencing soo much! I'm so glad to read you are not letting this opportunity pass with out taking full advantage of it. I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all of of your stories and adventures, Love dad

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb