The Nice Trio


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
June 12th 1997
Published: May 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After having spent way too much time on a train (literally too long time after having taken the wrong turn and traveled halfways through France in the wrong direction), and having found a nice little hotel, I feel a strong urge to socialize. The little hotel in Nice is nice. Probably not honored with a bunch of stars in any hotel guide. But it's clean, safe, affordable, and there are quite a few fellow budget travelers. My socializing takes the form of sitting outside on the lawn furniture, writing post cards, surrounded by other young vagabonds.

But I feel a need to speak, with anyone about anything. Preferably in English. The Americans present are arrogant, and have seemingly no interest whatsoever to speak with anyone who is not American. The group of Aussies show the same tendencies. The Mexican guy is however friendlier. So is the "outcast" Australian guy. By some weird coincidence they share the urge to talk nonsense. They also need to speak with someone, anyone, after having spent some time on the road. "Wanna go grab a beer?", I suggest. "Thought you'd never ask" replies the Mexican. And Aussies are not exactly known to be a beer-rejecting people. Chilling out over a beer in Nice is nice. An unlikely trio from three different continents. Never to be re-united, but sure enjoying the moment.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb