Across to La Flotte on the lovely Île de Ré:


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » La Flotte
September 5th 2011
Published: September 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our campsite : La Grainetiere in La Flotte, Île de Ré:

Made an extra effort today and got going by a more reasonable 10:15. Concerned that the Ile de Re is a very popular spot and that we needed to get to campsite as early as we could to make sure we got a pitch. The drive was not far, only 60 miles but we needed to stop for a weekly shop on the way.
Pleasant drive through the countryside, past fields full of sunflowers and corn. We easily spotted a Carrefour and stopped to stock up the fridge so we now have enough food to keep us going for several days.
We’ve visited Ile de Re twice before but it is such a lovely place to be. We crossed over the bridge, from near La Rochelle, having paid our €16.50 toll and enjoyed the view to the sandy beaches on either side as soon as came onto the island. We chose a campsite at La Flotte this time as on our 2 previous visits we have been further along the island. Lovely little site with a good pool and very friendly reception.
Quite right to arrive early as there were only 3 pitches left and the other 2 were taken only an hour later.
We decided to walk into La Flotte for the afternoon, rather than unloading the scooter. Took about half an hour, along the narrow streets, lined with mostly white buildings and hollyhocks climbing up just about everywhere. Stayed just long enough for a stroll round the very pretty harbour, jumping out of the way of the one million cyclists who follow the cycle routes which criss-cross the entire island. Almost makes you feel as if you should be on a cycle yourself. Only almost !
Ice creams in hand we walked back to the campsite then stopped by the pool for a lovely swim before dinner. Tomorrow we plan to find a market, in La Flotte or Le Bois de Re, to buy some fresh fish to barbecue for tea.
The weather is better here and the sky much bluer than on the mainland. Hopeful of a couple of days of glorious sunshine !


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb