France 97 - Saint Valery sur Somme - why don't you come on over Valery or why don't you come on over Gualaric


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Picardy » Saint-Valery-sur-Somme
October 9th 2015
Published: October 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So this was it. Our last night in France. We had booked our last night in the campsite Le Walric within walking distance of the seaside town of Saint Valery. We needed somewhere to while away our last Sunday. Far enough away from Calais and the Chunnel but not too far that we would struggle to get there for our train. If we were over an hour away we knew we would have no problems with migrants. We knew if we stayed closer we would be subject to more rigourous checks.

The journey was pleasant enough along some pretty little french back roads. we were heading for the coast. The campsite was easy to find and was yet another ACSI site 16 euros which compares much better than campsites in Britain. Reception was very friendly and I was given a pitch number. The site was quite full and was a mixture of static caravans and motorhomers. The plots were one of the largest we have stayed on this holiday. Plenty of room with hedges round them for privacy. There was barrier on the gate and we were given a tag to use to lift it and also were given arm bands so that we could use the indoor pool. Although the pool looked lovely it was crowded mostly with children so I gave it a miss. We headed for town instead.

In this part of France the houses mainly bungalow style all have fantastically pretty gardens still full of flowers. The walk was relatively easy and for once the 15 to 20 minute walk they advertised was exactly right. We were issued with both a map of the site showing the facilities and a map of the town. This meant it was easy to find where we were going. We passed the pompiers who were busy fire fighting. Or at least they seemed to be practicing and then rushed off in their vans.

The commune is on the Picardie coast and is adjacent to the Baie de la Somme and is at the mouth of the Somme River. To get to the town we had to walk through the old part of the city . A small medieval quarter with one massive gate and a few ramparts. From the ramparts we could see the bay with the tide out which left a very muddy estuary. The place was heaving with Sunday revellers enjoying the early Autumn sun. It felt as if all of Picardie were here enjoying the walk promenading along the quai, walking along the main street, eating moules or drinking wine.

The history of the commune dates back to before the era of the Romans when it was fairly small and inhabited by the Gauls. Slowly it grew from a small hamlet to a small village and from that into a larger town. One of its claims to fame was that Saint Valery was the site where William the Conqueror assembled his fleet before sailing over the channel to England in 1066. We found the memorial in a town square. From the back it looked like a war memorial with the Union flag flying one side of the monument and the french flag flying opposite . It was also a town that changed hands many times . From French to English and back again many times. Even Joan D'Arc had been a prisoner here before she was conveyed to Rouen where she was burnt at the stake.

There was little sign of the sea . It reminded me of Southport where the tide goes out a long way. Across the bay we could see Le Crotoy. Stalls sold seafood along the front. The main street was bustling with restuarants and cafes. We sat for a while in the sun enjoying a dry white wine before we walked back to the patisserie to buy our cakes for tea.

Do you know why they call the campsite Le Walric? We didnt either. Apparently he was a monk Gwaleric or sometimes known as Valery. He installed himself as a hermit and his followers formed an abbey. We couldnt resist singing Why don't you come on over Valerie . It is one of those songs that get in your head.

What did we think of the town? It proved a pleasant sunny Sunday diversion. When we got back I took the arm bands back and the key fob. We needed leave in the dark at just after 7.00. We moved plots as our neighbours two french couples were talking late in to the night. Sound carries when the rest of the campsite were sleeping.

We woke to darkness . Always a sad end to a holiday. Leaving the site Sally took us through tiny french villages. As the sun started to break through we got a look at the countryside around the Somme . It took us just over the 1 hour 40 minutes to get to the Chunnel. On the way we saw migrants . Groups of six young men of African origin heading towards Calais. Walking and laughing they didn't look like refugees nor in fear of their lives. Further on we saw six more and a large police presence. There seemed little attempt to stop them heading for the tunnel . I guess the french really are not bothered. The tunnel had been attacked again a few nights ago and the numbers of migrants increase by the day. No attempt is made to stop the damage being done. The french know they don't want to stay . They are hell bent on getting to Britain. We got through security fairly quickly and were offered an earlier crossing. We had to wait half an hour before loading and by 9 we were back in Britain.

Cold, wet and miserable Britain. Traffic horrendous on the road from Kent to the M25. Oh to be back on French roads. The rain continued all the way round the M25, It poured as we entered the Dartford Tunnel . We must top up again on our Dart Tag as we are now down to just over £3 on the tag. It has cost us £1.87 for each crossing. We stopped off at a motorway services and failed to get served. The service was awful and we ended up buying two Cornish Pasties to eat in Suzy. Delicious they were too. We knew we were home as the rain poured down all the way up the M1.

The holiday is over . We have covered over 4000 miles, brought some money home with us. We have averaged 25 1 mpg over the whole trip. Iberia done ...............so what next? Who knows but we are still singing "Why dont you come on over Valerie".

Like having a baby the bad bits are forgotten ........................how about Poland and the Baltic states ?

Advertisement



9th October 2015

As usual, I have enjoyed following your travels...
Poland and the Baltic States sound great, but wait for the weather to get better. I was there in April 2013 and it was cold and overcast.
10th October 2015

camino
thanks Bob . I am looking foward to walking the camino in spirit with you. I think you will like Viana a nice little place . Trying to negotiate time off in April May but boss being a pain as always .:(

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb