Amiens


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Picardy » Amiens
December 11th 2008
Published: December 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We read about a Cathedral that topped Notre Dame and is the biggest in France, we decided to head off for a day in Amiens (even though neither of us had ever heard of it and still cant pronounce it). Our Europass train ticket has been fantastic for just jumping on trains and heading off wherever we want to go, whenever we want.
It took a little getting to, about an hour on a train and then another half an hour on a bus (a flash TGV bus though, so it wasnt exactly a hardship). Our first stop was to check out this cathedral, which was worth the trip alone and was truly impressive. The front face was absolutely covered with carved figures and took years to complete. Would recommend a trip to anyone to see this. We then headed off to the information centre to see if there was anything else to do, this being the hometown of Jules Verne and all. We were tempted to go and see the home of Jules Verne which is now a museum with over 700 objects relating to his life, but after following another winding map thez gave us to tour through the old town, we were exhausted and decided that we would just do the Christmas Market (of course) and then go home.
The christmas market was once again lovely (but we are constantly dissappointed as all the lovely things that we want to buy are generally in glass and wouldnt do very well on the trip home, so we havnt really been able to buy anything yet). But we did have a bit of a disappointment at the market ; we had our first bad pastry. Mum was very upset (it wasnt from a stall at the market though, it was from an actual shop, so it wont dull our enthusiasm for the markets) (as if that were possible). 😉
Our wait for the bus was entertained by a pair of drunks waiting at the bus stop, not sure exactly what they wanted but they were asking everyone for it anyway. Only one of them made it onto the bus, and goodness only knows where she is now, i dont think she even knew where she wanted to go. And while we were waiting at the train station, we saw for the first time the TGV trains passing by at full speed; 300km/h is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast. You dont really realise exactly how fast you are going when you are in them, but man!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb