Vimy Ridge


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Vimy
November 17th 2013
Published: November 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We went to Vimy Ridge. That is where a really big battle in World War One took place. My Great Grampa was in the battle. He was in the 42nd division. France has donated the land to Canada. They even have Parks Canada shirts and sweaters on. Even the workers are all university students from Canada. We took the tour there of the tunnels underground and the trenches that are still there. The trenches are where men would live for a small period of time, and the generals would live in the tunnels. We first went through the tunnels. We saw where the general would sleep. He got a rickety bed, an oil lamp, a stool, and a table. The men would go through the tunnels waiting to be sent out. They could wait as long as 32 hours. Before they would go out they would get a shot of whiskey. For lots of them, it would be the last thing that they would taste. To name the trenches, they would use familiar names like popular street names from home and popular bars. As we walked through them, the guide explained what the different certain things were used for. They had a metal guard up and a small hole where you could put your rifle,and things like that. Then we walked over to the German trenches. There were little rock hut things, and they were used so that if a bomb hit, it wouldn't get inside the trench and kill the people inside. Then we went up to the monument where all the names of the missing soldiers were. After that, we went and looked at the graveyards, and met another guy from Canada. We then went to the museum there. It wasn't very big; it was a small museum, and looked around for a bit. Then we went back to the hotel.

Talk to you soon.

Snake Wrangler signing off.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb