WHAT IS A WEEKEND FOR?


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Lille
October 15th 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

What are Saturdays for? In France, they’re for shopping. Not errands, really, and not food shopping. Just shopping. Even if you’re not out to buy anything, really, French people wander the streets and mill around in the shops, boutiques, and department stores in the city. Children in strollers, teenagers, middle-aged couples, and senior citizens with canes and (still somehow ridiculously fashionable) orthopedic shoes are all out shopping on Saturdays.
What, then, are Sundays for? They’re for grocery shopping, of course. Everyone grocery shops on Sundays. And runs errands.
This explains why I avoid doing any shopping, whether window or actual, clothing or food, on the weekends. Way too much chaos for me.

Advertisement



21st October 2007

Schedules
Remember when you talked about French businesses and how they sort of open and close at will and take plenty of time off? Its weird to think about that and then imagine them all still going through the same routines, like their weekends. That sounds like a weekend here, in theory, after working a regular 40 hour Monday-Friday. I wouldn't have thought that the french weekends were SO typical, does that make sense?
22nd October 2007

shopping
I'm with you, Em. I hate shopping on weekends... Maman

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb