The "Killer Hike" - Part 1


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées
June 5th 2015
Published: June 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Leaving St. Jean Pied-de-PortLeaving St. Jean Pied-de-PortLeaving St. Jean Pied-de-Port

Lilia & Jill are set to go ....
Set out from St. Jean Pied-de-Port around 8 a.m. Upon leaving the walled city, it didn't take long for the climb to begin. The best word I can use to describe the next 7 kilometres is "brutal"! The start of the climb was gradual and at least had brief "levelling off" places, but the majority was a relentless " up, up, up" without any levelling off. It was difficult to walk more than 10 steps without having to stop. The sun and heat became oppressive and made the whole climb even harder!

What was even more amazing, was that I came upon a rather petite, elderly Japanese man trying to drag a cart with very small wheels up this crazy incline, over the rocks. He was very clearly struggling with this thing. I asked if I could help him ( while wondering why anyone in their right mind would even attempt something like that ). He spoke very little English (but tried real hard). He had no backpack, just 22 kg ! of his "gear" in this crazy cart with tiny wheels. He was very difficult to understand; but all I could tell was that he was absolutely determined to
SaguroSaguroSaguro

The man from Japan with the "impossible" cart!
make it up the mountain!

I finally made it to Orisson and the only hostel until Roncesvalles. I decided to listen to my husband' s advice and stay there to rest for the night. It turned out to be great advice as the hostel was quite nice, the terrace wonderful and the dinner amazing!

We were all happy when our Japanese friend finally showed up much later. "Saguro" is one tough man (although everyone wondered how he was possibly going to manage the rest of the way). Nobody understands why he insists on dragging this cart when he could have it transported to the next stop for a few Euros....

Saguro ended up entertaining everyone at dinner with his talent for the harmonica.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Up, up and away ....Up, up and away ....
Up, up and away ....

7 very long kilometres of relentless climbs : (
"Keep Going""Keep Going"
"Keep Going"

The mantra of the Camino : )
Feeling ExhaustedFeeling Exhausted
Feeling Exhausted

At this point, the heat and the altitude are both getting turned up real high!
Finally - OrissonFinally - Orisson
Finally - Orisson

The wonderful terrace overlooking the Pyrenees!
Awesome ViewAwesome View
Awesome View

Panorama of the mountains!


8th June 2015

Congratulations for having successfully completed your first day on the Camino...
I'm amazed you found room at Orisson without reservations. Hopefully there will be someone who also speaks Japanese to give Saguro some advice like the backpacking transportation service between albergues. I'm glad to see you have time to write blogs. I sincerely appreciate it!
8th June 2015

Thank you : )
Thank you for you kind words and yes, we all tried to talk Saguro into sending his "cart" on, but to no avail. I am sincerely concerned about him and wonder if he had to stay the night in the emergency hut along the way .... I have a few days of blogging to catch up on and hope to in Pamplona today!!
8th June 2015

DAY 1
Well done Lynda. Thank you for the beautiful pics and for taking the time to write. Looking forward to the next post.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb