Off to the Pyrenees at Tarascon-sur-Ariege


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Tarascon-sur-Ariege
September 10th 2015
Published: October 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Woken early from my sleep by rain on the roof. Not much but enough when the swimming things were on the line and the chairs out. Put them away and was glad later when rain woke me again, really falling in earnest this time.


That made decision as to what to do next easy. Travelling day.


So we packed up and set off towards the mountains.


Couldn't see them very well as they were under low cloud and mist but that soon started to clear and we had a rather good drive in ever increasing sunshine.



Tina Tomtom was behaving very well and found some beautiful roads and only once tried to persuade us onto a dual carriageway from Foix when there was a perfectly good yellow, scenic road to follow along the river to Tarascon-sur-Ariege.

Tina did find us a very scary route for last 500 metres to the campsite. A single track along and under a rock face and not recommended for a Tandy but we squeezed through !

We've been here before in 2003 but can only remember having a pitch overlooking the river as we have now.



Lovely site. Only drawback is pool closed for day, with covers on, as too cold. Sorry, that is totally rubbish. Temperature up to 24 degrees.

We scootered into town and found the medieval part on the other side of the rather attractive river so climbed up to the clock tower. Then back down and a coffee before returning to campsite for dinner but no pre dinner swim.

Contemplating a train upriver to Foix tomorrow as looked a lovely place to visit but a bit too far to scooter.



Campsite is, Acsi, yelloh Pre Lombard at Tarascon-sur-Ariege. On the river, pool looks superb. All facilities, bar, cave open and an excellent site.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb