Lovely visit to Foix, by train


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Foix
September 11th 2015
Published: October 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We heard a train in the distance last night and realised Tarascon is on the railway. Quick Google for SNCF and sure enough only 15 minutes to Foix.



Excellent idea. Train left at 10.52 so leisurely start to the day. Then hopped onto Kisbee and scootered to the station in town. Just 7.80 Euros each return and a very comfy ride up the valley to Foix.



Good choice of day to visit too. Friday is market day in Foix and lovely it was. We found the market in two places.

The main market was wonderful fresh produce under an open sided market hall. I wanted to buy it all but resisted as it was hot and we had to carry anything we bought round all day. Then more stalls selling all sorts of interesting, appealing and some, not so interesting, things spread right up the central boulevard.

The other market, again under an open sided market canopy, was in the market square in front of the church. More delicacies to tempt us.

The church, by the market, was a pleasure to visit and stands on the site of an ancient abbey.

The medieval part of town is dominated by the château which towers above the narrow streets, which are all lined with tall buildings and so attractive with their colourful walls and shutters.



We missed the château visit as it is closed between 12 and 2 but enjoyed a stroll through the streets admiring some rather nice shops and tempting content. Then we stopped for an especially tasty lunch of quiche in one of the attractive cafes which fill the town.



Last visit was down to the river, the Ariege, for a stroll along it and then up an interesting medieval street back to the market square. A notice at the bottom of the street instructed us to take note of the elaborate door of no. 27. We duly checked and it was not worthy of a second glance. No. 37 on the other hand fitted the description. Must send a note to the tourist office pointing out their confusing mistake !



Five minutes walk along the river and we were at the station for the 15.06 back to Tarascon and nicely in time for a swim in the lovely pool (I did extra lengths to make up for missed swim yesterday) and a bathe in the warm sun.



An excellent day and it has shown us that we can easily visit other towns, too far by scooter, if we have a convenient railway. Toulouse would be very easy to visit from here.

Spain tomorrow for a few days by the sea but we must stop for food on the way. Fresh vegetable supplies are all gone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb