Fontvieille to Carcassonne and Carla-Bayle


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Foix
June 30th 2016
Published: July 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

After a wonderful walk of the Fontvieille village we headed off to cross the Rhone River at Arles which at first we could not understand why people would wont to travel up and down this river in barges as it was so small but 1km down the road we found the correct Rhone River which soon clear that up for us. Our main stop today was a wonderful couple of hours walking around Carcassonne Medieval City this is a beautiful city with much history. Carcassonne City and Canal du Midi are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and welcomes several million visitors every year but still feels quaint and relaxing. This area was first settled 1000 years before the birth of Christ. The current location of the Medieval City was settled in 6 B.C, the rest of the city history you will need to found out yourself or just come and visit as is wonderful. We had a French tapas lunch of snails in a paprika butter, Foie gras with caramelised apple, Razor clams, and Black mushrooms with pasta all washed down with a local white wine. It was fantastic. Our home for the next couple of nights is a tourist cottage, we have a 2 bedroom one, on the outskirts of Carla-Bayle north of the Pyrenees mountains.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb