Mont St Michel


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy
December 26th 2005
Published: December 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Mont St MichelMont St MichelMont St Michel

Majestic view from our parking lot.
We headed out very early this morning for our drive to Mt St. Michel, the most popular tourist destination in France we were told. We arrived early before the crowds and were able to enjoy the peace and quiet of the 10th century Abbey. We toured a few of the small museums, but the best part was touring the Abbey itself. We had some audio guides to help explain the tour. The site is quite impressive, especially while approaching by car. Unfortunately the tide was out so we were not able to experience Mt. St. Michel surrounded by water, but it was still breathtaking. We learned that it is very dangerous to walk around the castle in the sand as there is “quicksand” that continues to claim lives each year. We had a nice lunch overlooking the water, and Mark tried the famous Omelet St. Michel, but thought it rather plain. The kids ventured out and ate….hamburgers!

After some brief shopping…and Mom means brief, we headed back to the landing beaches. We missed a few things the other day and wanted to finish. We stopped at the German cemetery, quite different from the American cemetery, dark and with one massive
Man the ramparts!Man the ramparts!Man the ramparts!

The kids man the defenses.
grave in the center surrounded by black crosses. We also returned to an area of Omaha beach that we did not visit earlier. We went to the National Guard monument and apparently the spot where Tom Hanks’ unit in Svt Pvt Ryan landed. We of course had our daily Will with Tank photo and the boys with an artillery piece. The weather was much colder with off and on drizzles today, so we were very happy that we spent a lot of time on the beaches our first day.

We headed home for dinner…cheese fondue and more French wine….The boys played a game of Axis and Allies D-Day, a board game where they re-create the Normandy campaign. Steven and the Germans won, boo! Tomorrow is our last day in Normandy and we’ll head for Caen and the Peace museum, and with any luck, some shopping!

Will’s Field Report: Today we went to Mt. St Michel. It was a big rock on water and sand. I thought it was cool. It had a lot of shops. We went to the German cemetery; there were a lot of Germans buried there. Omaha beach had a lot of waves today. We
Don't look down!Don't look down!Don't look down!

Will in the shadows high above the bay.
saw where the Allies exited Omaha Beach on D-Day. I was tired today because we had to get up really early.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tank du jourTank du jour
Tank du jour

Will varies his tank photo by climbing on a beach obstacle.
Mike and the Big Red OneMike and the Big Red One
Mike and the Big Red One

The First Army Division was one of two divisions landing at Omaha.
Fire!Fire!
Fire!

Privates Greenwood lend a hand firing at the enemy.


28th December 2005

Wow I also got a PSP.I also got starwars battlefront 2.I like all the pictures you sent.I think it was pretty cool.It sounds like you are having fun.Talk to you soon.Avoir

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb