Viva La France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Bayeux
October 7th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We finally arrived in Bayeux after catching three trains and not getting lost once. On one train we did wonder if we were on the right train and then if we were going the right way, but as it turns out we were OK. The fast trains are incredible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bayeux townshipBayeux township
Bayeux township

A street in Bayeux that is full of shops that close for two hours at lunch time and reopen at about two in the afternoon.They stay open until about 7.00pm depending if they feel like it or not. Sundays are dead. Nothing is open. Lucky we went to LeMont Saint Michel
Aagh! Driving in EuropeAagh! Driving in Europe
Aagh! Driving in Europe

I will never drive in Europe again. It is the most scary thing to do. Unfortunately we could not get an automatic and John can't use a manual.....therefore I had no choice. John will never be the same again. Day one was a disaster. I nearly collected a post, took out a gutter and almost went into a ditch. All on the right side of the car of course. Could have ended up in the divorce court or hospital,but for John's patience. Day two was much better as we drove to Le Mont Saint Michel accept for the gale force winds and teaming rain on a freeway where everyone else, accept me, wants to exceed 130kmh. Not to mention the herd of sheep on the road!!!!!
Aromanches beachAromanches beach
Aromanches beach

Where the British came in and were trapped by the Germans Hidden on the shores and cliffs.
John in front of some of the washed up temporary harbourJohn in front of some of the washed up temporary harbour
John in front of some of the washed up temporary harbour

The site is very thought provoking, thinking about what Dad and his fellow soldiers must have felt when embarking on such an historical day such as D-Day. One soldier wrote before he died,"As our boat touched the sand and the ramp went down I became a visitor to hell." A very sobering place to visit.
Le Mont Saint MichelLe Mont Saint Michel
Le Mont Saint Michel

As we (ME)drove around the bend and was confronted with this view, one could think you were entering a fairytale. The place was majestic looking.
Oneof the many views we could see from the top of the Eiffel TowerOneof the many views we could see from the top of the Eiffel Tower
Oneof the many views we could see from the top of the Eiffel Tower

We could see our Apartment from the Eiffel Tower We have worked out how to get to all the touristy places without too much walking. The long queues are out so that leaves some things out but we can still see lots. will have look by night tomorrow night.
Yes we were thereYes we were there
Yes we were there

And yes it is cold and wet but that hasn't stopped us.


7th October 2008

Magnificent!
How wonderful it is to see your pictures and read your stories. Looks like it is all there - great scenery, history, wild weather and some high drama. What more could you need? Enjoy every moment! Cheers, Shane.
8th October 2008

Photo's are great, you sound like you are really enjoying yourselves, except you Wendy when talking about the driving. Our weather here is starting to improve, but could still use a lot more rain, can you bring it home with you. Enjoy
9th October 2008

Fabulous photos
Wendy/John, I'm very jealous, Wendy you're very brave to be driving around Paris. Have a fabulous birthday tomorrow.
9th October 2008

Driving
Thanks Helen, but I only drove in Normandy, that was crazy enough,it would be suicide in Paris for me. You have to have your wits about you when walking because if the traffic is jamming the scooters just use the footpath. John even saw one with their dog on the front. Lots of little dogs being walked and if you are rich enough they even let you bring the pooch into their locked shops.Obviously not the shops we can shop in!
9th October 2008

Leaning Tower of Piza??
It is actually the road that we are driving on, a listing road at that!
29th October 2008

Aagh! Driving in Europe
Ha Ha Ha Ha Poor Wendy! I hate driving manuals too... maybe because I cant drive them!!!! It seems like you and John are having a wonderful time. Keep posting the photos, they are great! I am travelling through you... We all miss you here at Ability Works! Cheers, Elle :)

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb