St. Guilhem Le Desert


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Montpellier
February 17th 2006
Published: February 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So yesterday we went to the town of St. Guilhem le Desert which is located i think in the beginning part of the Massif Central in France. In 804 Guillaume, Earl of Toulouse, came to the Valley of Gellone and visited and two years later decided to become a monk and live in teh Gellone Valley. This village became a part of the route for the pilgrimage to Santiago de Copeostella. It was a cool little town in the middle of mountains and we spent the afternoon there and had a guided tour. Later, we had time to go hiking up the mountains. It is here that the cloister museum in New York comes from because an american bought part of it (i believe 148 pieces form here) and they are now the centrepiece of the Cloister Museum in NYC. I guess now that I've seen this I'll have to check out the cloister museum in New York.

So today is the end of my second week here in Montpellier and it's going well. Monday I start volunteering with Pharmaciens sans Frontieres and we will find out our schedule for classes which begin on Tuesday. All the French students have vacation for the next two weeks so I cant start at the highschool in Montpellier helping with the English teachers for another two weeks. Perrine and Luci will be leaving for their vacations so it will be pretty quiet at the house.

Voila...tout va bien!

ciao, kristen





Advertisement



17th February 2006

Wooooooo
Wow, very cool! And I can imagine working at the high school will definitely be interesting. I wonder if they have classes like we did in B-town, or block scheduling or something. Have fun friend!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb