Ride on the Steam train from Anduze to St Jean de Gard and back (Train a Vapeur des Cevennes). Super Day.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Anduze
September 16th 2014
Published: September 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

When we woke the rain had stopped and last night’s storm had pretty well dried up. This is a pretty campsite, plenty of trees but not too much cover and the leaves have started to change colour and come down and the storm certainly helped the autumnal progress.



We arrived at the station in Anduze, via scooter of course, in plenty of time for our train as we had no idea how big it was and how many passengers there might be. Quite a rush as the station doors opened at 10.30. We bought our return tickets (€15 each) and waited on the platform for the train to arrive at 11.10. Slight bedlam for a while as 200+ people climbed on board and tried to find good seats in their preferred compartments.

We sat near the back and we discovered quite quickly that that is the best position to experience the ‘steam’.

The train set off at 11:30 for its 40 minute ride and straight away dove into an almost 1km long tunnel through the rock which only comes out at the railway bridge which goes across the Gardon river. In the tunnel all the steam coming out of the funnel was further funnelled into our compartment. It was really quite funny, in the tunnel visibility became quite restricted and when we came out the other end everyone was wiping their glasses and brushing the soot of their clothing. Oh and laughing !



Lovely train ride with pretty sights along the way and we arrived in St Jean de Gard at 12.10. Very pleased to see there was a market across the bridge into town so we wandered through that, bought our annual string of rose garlics and one of shallots. The garlic should keep me going until next spring.



The train back was at 14:00 which was just nicely timed so we could have lunch at one of the little restaurants outside the station and then jump back on the train for the return trip. We chose our seats and compartment more wisely this time, near the front and the steam passed right over us and we stayed clean all the way back.



For reference the train runs every day except Monday and Friday in September and every day except Monday, Friday and Saturday in October. More frequently in high season.



Back in Anduze in good time for a coffee at the Restaurant du Centre before scootering back to the campsite for a swim and dinner. First time we’ve used the barbecue this trip but it was a lovely evening, no rain threatening, so Bob cooked our lamb steaks and we sat outside and enjoyed the fact that we could.






Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb