Au Revoir Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
August 19th 2017
Published: August 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We leave Paris this morning bound for Verdun. We are finally beginning to feel somewhat rested up. We have had a lovely three days wandering the city and visiting some of our old favourite places. One of the things we have noticed is that security was less stringent in some areas and far more visible in others. The Eiffel Tower area has much more visible security than in the past with heavily armed guards everywhere! In contrast, the Arc de Triomphe was much less heavily guarded than previously. We spent a full day at the Louvre and once again really enjoyed it! The bonus was that it was far less crowded than when we had been here 5 years ago. That is probably because in the month of August the city seems to empty out. It seems very odd to us, as Americans, that one would simply close ones business for an entire month! We have racked up a lot of miles of walking around and are definitely feeling it today! Dean was commenting this morning about how tired his quads were after the climb up the stairs at the Arc de Triomphe! We are really looking forward to being in the car and sitting for a while! Something that was new to us on this trip was a visit to the Pantheon where we saw Foucault's Pendulum. The Pendulum was a project to prove that the Earth rotated around the sun. The Pendulum is suspended from the dome of the Pantheon and swings back and forth over a circle on which are marked the hours of the day. As the day goes on the Pendulum swings over a different mark on the circle. A geek's delight, for sure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th August 2017
20170817_015144

Brrr
Look cold there!
20th August 2017
20170817_015144

More drizzly than cold. Headed for Lux City today.
20th August 2017

Bye-bye
So long Paris, hello world! Have a wonderful time.

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb