Louvre


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
May 30th 2016
Published: June 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning we headed to the Louvre. Liam was feeling up to it loaded with Ibuprofen. We have a metro stop just outside our place, Cardinal Lemoine. We transferred at Jussieux to get to Palais Royale. We found out that we could pre-purchase our museum ticket at the tabac (newsagent) in the mall outside the Louvre. We entered in through the mall and immediately saw the inverted pyramid in the basement. We had purchased a really good e-book that I had on my tablet, called Mission Impossible Paris which is a scavenger hunt of sorts. We worked through the activities, seeing La Jaconde (Mona Lisa), the Victory of Samathrace (winged statue), the Coronation of Napoleon as well as finding a cat mummy and seeing a lineup of sarcophagi. We read an interesting story about why the Mona Lisa is famous, after a theft in 1911 by an Italian who wanted to return it to Italy. Instead of being celebrated, he was arrested when he tried to hand it in to a gallery in Italy.

Liam flagged during our Louvre tour, and since it was pouring heavily, we went back to our apartment where Liam had a nap and Cole worked on his homework.

Yesterday Cole and I looked through the flea market (marche des puces) set up every Sunday - so much fun and we found some great french books, too bad we are so limited on our luggage! Cole practiced his french by asking anyone with kids' stuff "Bonjour Madame/Monsiour, est-ce que vous avez des cartes de Pokemon?" - and we did find some Pokemon cards in french - and I would consider them to be rares?! Maybe even educational!!

This afternoon I am going to head out to some shops myself to look for bakery supplies and enjoy Paris as the rest are either sick or tired. Also have to get Liam some decongestant for the flight tomorrow. I hope he is ok.
Tomorrow...Venice!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb