Sunny Days, Busy Days


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
April 10th 2015
Published: April 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Eiffel Tower Photo Contest EntryEiffel Tower Photo Contest EntryEiffel Tower Photo Contest Entry

Reflected in the side of a coach
Tuesday started with an ascent of La Tour Eiffel. We arrived early enough to only wait in the queue for about an hour. It is truly an extraordinary structure, so massive yet so graceful. Needless to say, the view was stunning. Most of us walked down from the second level. We had a contest for the most creative photo - one of my best efforts is shown at right.

We then walked to Les Invalides, saw Napoleon's tomb, and visited the museum. Margaret & Phillip, you will be pleased to know that I visited the Museum of Plan-Reliefs.

After lunch we travelled to the garden of the Palais Royal for a sketching workshop with a local artist. Many of us (including myself) were surprised by latent skill. It is something one might never normally take the time to do, so it was interesting. After a stop at a sidewalk café, and metro back to the area near the Eiffel Tower for dinner, we had a Seine River cruise in the evening. Due to delays at the restaurant (there was only one waitress for the whole restaurant, which was full - the wife of the proprietor!), we ended up on a 9.30pm cruise. It was close to midnight before we were back at our hostel!

Wednesday we then had an early start - had to leave at 6.45 am to get to Gare de l'Est in time for our train to the medieval town of Provins, a 90 minute train trip away. This is an amazing place, with the upper town still surrounded by its medieval wall. We had a guided tour and learned about the county of Champagne and the town of Provins in the 13th Century, when it was an important trade centre. We also attended two shows, the Legend of the Chevaliers, and the Eagles of the Ramparts. Both shows were great, but the second, the bird of prey show, was stunning. Some photos below.

It's been so sunny here that most of us are getting a bit sunburned daily. The forecast continues to be sunny and getting warmer. Wonderful!

If you subscribe to this blog, you will receive an email whenever it is updated.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

ProvinsProvins
Provins

Originally a lookout tower, with no roof, it now houses bells. We climbed to the top and explored the interior.
Eagles of the RampartsEagles of the Ramparts
Eagles of the Ramparts

Amazing to see these birds close up
Eagles of the RampartsEagles of the Ramparts
Eagles of the Ramparts

The birds swooped over us many times, just centimetres above


16th April 2015

Tres belles photos et quel magnifique ciel bleu ! Vous êtes gâtés c'est super !
19th April 2015

J'adore Provins!
I love getting out of Paris and spending the day in this medieval village. It is always so calm and restful and the two shows are wonderful. My photos from the bird show of my owls are competition winners but I didn't want to take away from others' success! Lol!

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb