A Grand Palace


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
March 16th 2014
Published: March 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After seeing the doctor, Em was feeling much better and, knowing it was our last day in Paris, we decided to visit the Palace of Versailles. Trains have been free all this weekend as a method of combating pollution and they were still free so that was quite a bonus as it is some way out of Paris. It was a beautiful Sunday so obviously everyone else had the same idea as the double decker train was full. When you get to Versailles, there is a short walk before you can see the Palace itself but when it comes into view… wow! It was specifically built to be the most opulent show of power and wealth anywhere in the world and I think they achieved it with ease. Entering past a huge bronze statue of King Louis XIV, the entire front gates and wrought iron fencing, all about 4 metres high, are GOLD!! The ridge capping for the roofing of the main palace is all gold and the stonework is simply amazing.

We paid our entry fee and went inside to find that the interiors are even more stunning than the outside. Filled with artworks from the 16th century, every chamber is richly appointed with beautifully painted vaulted ceilings. Unfortunately, Em was still feeling pretty tired and so slept through most of the palace interior. Undoubtedly, the most amazing part was the Hall of Mirrors, a long hall with 17 huge windows on one side and 17 matching mirrors on the other, all lit by dozens of chandeliers hanging from the double height ceiling. And the most amazing part is that this was used simply as a hallway from one area to another!

Em woke up near the end and was amazed by the paintings on the ceilings – she said that was her favourite part. Then we went outside into the enormous gardens to find a spot for lunch on the marble stairs.

After a picnic on the steps, we walked through a section of the gardens. Apparently there are more than 600 fountains throughout the gardens and they all work through a system that diverts water from the river and channels it through each successive fountain and pond to the Grand Canal at the bottom of a wide boulevard. This is a huge cross shape which is about 250m wide and each arm of the cross is about 1km long. This is a part of the garden is public too, so while we were there 8-man rowing teams were battling it out in a club meeting along a section of the canal. What an amazing venue with the Chateau standing high above.

At the far end of the Grand Canal are two other buildings, the Grand Trianon which was the recreational residence of the King and the Petit Trianon which is part of the area given to Marie Antoinette by King Louis XVI. These are much more simply appointed, and the estate of Marie Antoinette has a definite female touch. She had an entire English Hamlet (tiny village) built in one corner including a mill, large pond, and working farm. Some of the area has been restored and there are still many farm animals so it was a big hit with Em even though she was still feeling a bit poorly.

It was beginning to get a bit late so we hiked it back to the train and returned to our apartment for the day.



If you only get a few days in Paris, this is the place to see! Whatever you do, don’t miss it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb