A Day in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
May 18th 2011
Published: May 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning was a another lovely fine and warm day, almost hot, even. We have been so blessed with the weather.
We were booked on a bus tour today to see the Paris sights. We walked to our departure point and while we were waiting to board the bus we had a good look at the shops.
The sightseeing tour was great and very informative. It also helps you to get your bearings.
We arrived back at the Tuileries Gardens at 12.30 and went looking for some lunch. We had walked quite a way to find a cafe. A lovely girl, at the cafe, packed us up a picnic lunch which would have liked to have had back at the gardens but we were so exhausted we could not walk back. LOL!
We decided to go up to our room and open up our big windows and eat our lunch while looking at the boats going up and down the Seine - good choice. What a great view we had and we sat for a good couple of hours watching the passers by and the traffic and the boats. I also took the opportunity to do some blogging.
Later in the day, when it was a little cooler, we went in search of the Diana Memorial. This time, we were wise and caught the train. I was very disappointed at the condition of Diana's Memorial, there was rubbish and old dead flowers strewn about. I just wanted to get a broom and clean it up 😞
After spending time at the Memorial we decided to climb the Arc De Triomp. "The Arc de Triomphe (Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile) is one of the most famous monuments in Paris. It stands in the centre of the Place Charles de Gaulle (originally named Place de l'Étoile), at the western end of the Champs-Élyséeshe. The monument stands 50 metres (164 ft) in height, 45 m (148 ft) wide and 22 m (72 ft) deep." This time we did walk and it took us a long time to get to it, and it was uphill. It was fantastic. We climbed the ?284 steps (or should I say staggered up them) to get to the top!
"Beneath the Arc is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from the First World War. Interred here on Armistice Day 1920, it has the first eternal flame lit in Western and Eastern Europe since the Vestal Virgins' fire was extinguished in the fourth century. It burns in memory of the dead who were never identified (now in both World Wars)."
It was now 8.20pm and we found ourselves a lovely restaurant and had some dinner. We then found ourselves a train and returned to the Tuileries Gardens for the walk home. It was about 10pm and the lights were on at the Eiffel Tower and a passerby took a picture for us.
Another fun-filled and very busy day.
I did not have time to name all the photos but will do so at another time. Plz don't forget to scroll down to see them all. Love to all x


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st May 2011

I love the photo with you both together with the Eiffel Tower in the background
good idea to relax for a couple of hours - you must be so tired!!!
21st May 2011

Loving this trip
Hi Sue and Steve Following your every step. However I am having trouble keeping up. Great photos with commentary. Thanks! You make it feel like we are there with you.
21st May 2011

paris 2
what weather you've had - just like OZ!!!! Sophie tells me that we are meeting her French pen friend in Paris - along with 3 small children. Rather like a school trip! carrie

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb