London to Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
May 17th 2011
Published: May 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

006006006

Leaving London
This morning we were up quite early to catch the 7am train from Victoria to St Pancras to meet our connection to Paris on the Eurostar!!! The underground tube train was very crowded and we nearly got crushed in the rush.
We really enjoyed our trip on the Eurostar and were very surprised at how quickly you cross into France. We were no sooner in the tunnel and we were out again. I had to ask someone if we had actually crossed the English Channel because I found it hard to believe we could have done so in such a short time. I think it was only about 20minutes. !!
We arrived in Paris, close to lunch time, and had a bit of a laugh trying to work out how to get to our accommodation. We could not find anyone who spoke English and therefore we had to try and work it out ourselves. Luckily, someone came along and pointed us to the correct platform. We also had to change trains for another line - an experience in itself - we managed well though.
When we came up, out of the train underground, we were standing right beside the Siene River
018018018

On the eurostar
- fabulous!!
We only had a short walk to our accommodation which was great as we were pulling heavy bags. Our room was on the 5th floor and had big timber windows that swung open to reveal a fabulous view of the Seine River with the Loovre and the Tulleries behind - Fantastic. The lift was tiny. We had a few cosy rides in the lift. It held a maximum of 3 average sized people, you should have seen us squashed in there with all our bags. It would have made you all laugh.
After we settled in it was about 2.30pm and so we set off to find some lunch. We found a lovely cafe just around the corner.
After lunch we went for a long walk, very very long - we got back at 12.30 at night (next morning) LOL!! So much to see and so little time!
Firstly, we walked across the bridge to the Louvre and meandered along looking at everyone and taking in the sights. We then walked through the Tuileries Gardens which are lovely. Wide open spaces and big ponds, to float boats in, and lots of statues and grassed areas and lots of people enjoying the day and the lovely sunshine. We also, virtually, ran into some people from home. The Lantings were walking along the Seine!! Unbelievable!
At around 6pm we started to walk up the Seine to find the departure for a boat cruise. We were booked for 8pm and we were told it would be a 15 minute walk and that the departure point was located below the Eiffel Tower. I am glad we set out when we did as it took 1 1/2 hrs to walk that distance!! (Don't you love the locals).
It was great to board the boat and give our aching legs a rest. The River Cruise was lovely, very informative and yes, I took way too many photos. It was very civilized sitting with a glass of bubbly in one hand and admiring the views.
When we got back from the boat cruise we decided to get on the long queue to go up to the Eiffel Tower summit. We queued up for about 45minutes at the bottom and then there was another 50 minute wait on the mid floor to board the lift for the summit. It was worth the wait - what a
022022022

We popped up out of the underground and found ourselves standing beside the Seine - fantastic
fantastic experience. The lights came on while we were there and it looked awesome.
We staggered back to our accommodation exhausted, but what a fabulous afternoon we had. We did not get time for dinner today!! We saw a lot in our first 1/2 day in Paris.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

025025
025

The view from our room - fantastic!!
032032
032

Our accommodation on the 5th level
042042
042

The Louvre. The glass pyramid is the entrance
049049
049

Walking through the Tuileries Gardens
056056
056

What is this, I see, in the background
070070
070

Who would have thought!!
077077
077

Point De Ialma Bridge
091091
091

On our Seine River cruise
120120
120

Enjoying the experience of being 'on top of the world'
130130
130

Just beautiful at night


21st May 2011

Fantastic - well planned with such views from your accommodation
It's hard to believe that all those wonderful sights are within walking distance - or quite close anyway!! your poor legs..............
21st May 2011

paris
well, friends and neighbours pop up everwhere! It looks great - my turn in Paris next. can't wait. Carrie

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb