The Humble Baguette


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
December 2nd 2022
Published: December 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

From NPR:
PARIS — The humble baguette — the crunchy ambassador for French baking around the world — is being added to the U.N.'s list of intangible cultural heritage as a cherished tradition to be preserved by humanity.

UNESCO experts gathering in Morocco this week decided that the simple French flute — made only of flour, water, salt, and yeast — deserved U.N. recognition, after France's culture ministry warned of a "continuous decline" in the number of traditional bakeries, with some 400 closing every year over the past half-century.

The U.N. cultural agency's chief, Audrey Azoulay, said the decision honors more than just bread; it recognizes the "savoir-faire of artisanal bakers" and "a daily ritual."

"It is important that these craft knowledge and social practices can continue to exist in the future," added Azoulay, a former French culture minister.

"Of course, it should be on the list because the baguette symbolizes the world. It's universal," said Asma Farhat, baker at Julien's Bakery near Paris' Champs-Elysee avenue.

"If there's no baguette, you cant have a proper meal. In the morning you can toast it, for lunch it's a sandwich, and then it accompanies dinner."

Despite the decline in traditional bakery numbers, France's 67 million people still remain voracious baguette consumers — purchased at a variety sales points, including in supermarkets. The problem is, observers say, that they can often be poor in quality.

"It's very easy to get bad baguette in France. It's the traditional baguette from the traditional bakery that's in danger. It's about quality not quantity," said one Paris resident, Marine Fourchier, 52.
If you have spent any time at all in France, you know why the mighty baguette is a way of life. Every French home, restaurant, and cafe makes their baguette run early every morning. Some people will drive 20 miles each morning for the right baguette. I see people bringing their baguettes home on their bicycles. If you go on a picnic, or decide to have an impromptu meal, the baguette is the center piece. Just grab some cheese and a bottle of wine! And it works great while cycling too!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.369s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 37; qc: 146; dbt: 0.2283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb