Paris Redux


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
October 7th 2018
Published: October 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Some things never change, and thank goodness Paris is one of them. Gorgeous, dirty, monumental, noisy, charming, crowded, intimate, bustling, smelly, lovely, aggravating, dreamy Paris is a kaleidoscope of sights, sounds and tastes, and I’m getting to see it through the lens of a first-timer, Fae.

We are on a quick-and-cheap tour with Riviera Travel, and there have been some hiccups.... Because I’ve been traveling, they were unable to mail me our Eurostar tickets - but neglected to even tell us our ticket numbers, so when we arrived at the London rail station, no one could find us in the system. Two-and-a-half hours of phone calls and repeated queuing netted us two return tickets - WHEW!

It’s remarkable to go from central London to Gare du Nord in two+ hours, in quiet, comfortable seats, countryside streaming by. There are 48 travelers on our trip, mostly English, some Aussies and Kiwis, and a grandmother/granddaughter pair from South Africa. We are the only Americans, and are treated as exotics - too funny!

We welcome the warm weather here, but I’d forgotten about the French resistance to air conditioning (and deodorant). We had rain and a cool down Sunday, but the temps will climb back to the 70s.

Once again, food is shockingly expensive and not particularly good. Contrary to conventional “wisdom,” I find the food better and more reasonable by far in England. Yes, I’m serious.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A cafe dinner with Mark, our guideA cafe dinner with Mark, our guide
A cafe dinner with Mark, our guide

The steaks were expensive and tough, but, OH, the bread and butter!
Left Bank parkLeft Bank park
Left Bank park

Revisiting my childhood haunts
Musée de LouvreMusée de Louvre
Musée de Louvre

Holding down the fort
We’ve all felt like thisWe’ve all felt like this
We’ve all felt like this

Some more recently than others....
Tuileries Tuileries
Tuileries

Another childhood memory


8th October 2018

You sure covered a lot of ground! Some of my favorite places. I just realized it's been 18 years since I've been to France and looking at your shots makes me feel like I was there yesterday. It looks a little chilly hopefully not wet. Sorry about your ticket trials. Hopefully smooth sailing the rest of the way.
9th October 2018

To Diane
Yes, weather is much warmer, sun is out - only one morning of rain, all else glorious! Come revisit those favorite places!

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb