Indulgent lifestyles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Versailles
September 27th 2009
Published: September 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The French aristocracy knew how to live. The palace of Versailles provides a testament to this - either in restored or renovated formats. The palace is located on the edge of Paris, and going there by train meant the way was easily observed by the throng heading in that direction. Not only that, as we turned the corner to the vast building, we also see the throng of buses indicating the masses already there!


Versailles is synonymous with excess, indulgence and luxury. The immense size of this building, and the detailed decor are amazing. There were chambers and antechambers and ante chambers to ante chambers! The decor was often changed by season.


Gold and gilt edges, shaped legs, velvet finish wallpapers and several colours of marble are recurring elements in the interior design. Gold appears on gates, furniture legs, balustrades, light fittings, barometers and architraves as well as detailed and ornate picture frames.


Gold balustrades separate the sleeping area from the sitting area in the royal bedrooms. The beds are heavily canopied in sync with the decor, and seem to be on a raised platform - which we think means you'd need a ladder to get into bed.


As part of her many excesses, Marie Antoinette had a special area constructed for her. This was built prior to 1789, and provided a sanctuary for her and her children. However, post 1789, its refuge from the uprisings that claimed many royal heads, did provide genuine protection rom the guillotine. The grand trianon and the petit trianon were built for her use, away from the rigours of court. In addition, she commissioned an architect to develop a small hamlet including a working farm that allowed her to relate to the simpler things in life. To visit these, we go via the man-made grotto which was also created as part of the grounds of this attraction. Her farm seems to have animals on it and to be a working model. It certainly smelt like it.


Nothing was overlooked in creating the opulent living environments. The gardens included fountains, manicured gardens and the grand canal. Amongst the gardens were a series of bosquets which were rectangles of trees planted with gravel pathways in between that created a series of green 'rooms'. It is reported that Louis would walk through these 'rooms' and a number of routes are proposed for the budding promenaders. We decide to do a walk through the entire area - which was rather long, and whilst very pleasant - left us very foot sore.


There is much left unsaid from the detail that could accompany this entry but we think you will benefit from many photos we took.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb