Last days in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 25th 2009
Published: September 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So the last entry should have been reflections on gastronomique delights ... we are not going backwards, but forwards and got good seats in the train from Bordeaux. We were feeling good as we had managed to drive into central Bordeaux, reverse parallel park on the right side of the road, find the car rental return area, return the car, buy tickets, book a hotel and get on the train .... well that was all good until we got to Paris ... where the hotel was a bit on the seedy side and we decided to seek out alternative accomomodation ... hmmmmmmmmm ... not so easy in this week in September in Paris. So - to cut a long story short - 3 hotels in 3 days ... now still in the latter hotel where the proprietors are very friendly and helpful. We are in Montparnasse!


So ... when in Paris there are a few 'must do' things. These are different for everyone. For us, one of our first days featured 2 Parisien institutions ... Angelina's and the Eiffel Tower!


Angelina's



Angelina's is a Salon de The that was established in 1903 and is still going strong, if the queues at the door are anything to go by. We are here for a afternoon tea (without the tea thanks, go straight to hot chocolate!!!). The hot chocolate is to be experienced. It is a think, rich melted chocolate experience. Served in a jug, it is accompanied by a bowl of freshly whipped cream. The drink is like a meal in itself. Even though it is warm outside, we manage to really enjoy this smooth beverage!


Not enough to have that on its own, we also select afternoon tea delicacies! For Joss a 'tarte au fraises' and me - millefeuille (there's a theme here). The strawberries taste really good she says - like real strawberries. Delicious! Yum! Hmmm! ....... She was clearly enjoying it and not talking much! The millefeuille too was scrummy - crisp in the right bits, creamy in the others. Can we walk for a bit now Joss suggests - and then in the next breath ... we should go to the other place too ... what was it? Laduree??


Eiffel Tower




Walking off the sugar load was possible in our trip to the Eiffel Tower. We meander along the banks of the Seine through a photographic exhibition and into the throng at the bottom of the tower. There is the queue experience of course. This lasted about an hour in amongst a very multicultural group of tourists. We play "spot the Aussie".

Taking the life to the top - the 704 steps to the first floor were attractive but the life was irresistable! We cram in to the lift, up to the stage. We queue again for the next lift experience and at last arrive at the summit! Paris! In all its glory the city spreads out beneath us as the sun sets and the twinkling lights of Parisian city life start to appear.

The landmarks are easy to see and we are able to track where we are and where we've been. The crowds make getting photos a challenge, but we persevere even in the failing light. Not many to show here though. Joss submits to a photo session with some reluctance ... despite having seen many tourists all aound us posing with the Paris landscape backdrop.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



25th September 2009

The Summit
Well - you've reached the summit, the top of the tower and the world. Well done. The strawberry tart sounds fantastic and I know Joss is a good judge of strawberries. Ev would have just loved the vanilla slice. Safe and happy journey home.

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1141s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb