Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 5th 2006
Published: September 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour,

Just a quick note to start off with, the keyboards in Europe are different than the ones at home so sorry for any misspellings (I know you will paying attention to that Galen) as well as weird punctuation.

Paris is great! It was the perfect place to start our trip because a family friend of the Margie Thorp (my travel buddy for those that do not know) lives here and agreed to let us stay with her while we were visiting and what a major help it has been to have her! The weather since we got here has been perfect, we couldn't have asked for anything ncier. The flight over went well except I slept about 45 min of a 7 hour flight. We arrived in Paris at 8am so we still had a full day of sight seeing ahead of us with little sleep the previous night. The first day was tough to get through with Margie and I wanting to fall asleep any time we sat down somewhere. Somehow we made it through the first day (I hadnt slept for 31 hours by the time I went to bed at night) and started to get over our jetlag. On the first day we went to the Louve and saw the Mona Lisa, we also went and saw the Petite Palace (a small palace that housed art), took a walk along the Seine River where we saw a couple who had just married and taking these beautiful pictures on the a bridge over the Seine. We also sat in some gardens by the Louve where Margie fell asleep on some steps. Dont worry adults, I stayed awake and watched our packs.

The second day we went and saw the Eiffel Tower where Margie and I were surprised to learn that you actually have to pay 3 euros to walk up, we figured they should pay us to walk it (so we were cheap and did not), we also saw the Arc de Triomphe, the Concorde, Notre Dame Cathedral and walked the Champ Elysees ( a long street of high end shops, no Nate I did not stop and buy anything haha). It was a very productive day with great weather. Today Charlotte took us to see the Château at Versailles which was extremely impressive. Neither one of us expected it to be so big. We took an audio tour of it which proved to be worth it (of course we had no choice, the audio tour was included in the high price). After that we went to the Musêe D'Orsay which housed art work of Renoir, Van Gogh (yes Amy I have pictures for you), Monet, and Manet. It was an experience being in a place with so many famous artists.

That concludes Paris however we will be back before flying home and plan to do the river tour on the Seine at night (yes Elliot I know how much you enjoyed it and told me to go as well). So far the French have seemed nice enough and we've got along fine (especially with the help of Charlotte). Margie is better at speaking French than me, often I get flustered and say ci instead of wi and I don't think that they understand my spanish over here. Hopefully I'll be better in Germany where I know a little more than Bonjour of the language. We take the train to Amsterdam tomorrow for three nights and booked our hostel for Amsterdam last night. We were surprised to see that most of them were already full so for the next city we will start looking sooner.

Well that is all for now, thank you to everyone that has added comments, they always entertain me. To those of you who did not get my first Test blog click on Previous Journal at bottom of this one so you can read that as well!

Au revior

Love,

Lisa

Advertisement



5th September 2006

You must be exhausted!
Hi Lisa. I cannot belive how much you've done in such a short time.--way to take advantage of your time in Paris. Keep the updates coming! Bonne nuit!
5th September 2006

"You Go Girl!"
Got you BLOG of course. Looks good. I will show it to Mrs. Chopp when I get home this weekend. Like everyone else. She will be green with envy. Enjoy this time. Be safe and we will be looking forward to the next one. PS Do they let you eat off of other peolpes plate?
5th September 2006

Eeeeeee!
Hey cutie pie!! I am so glad you have this, its so cool to hear all about your trip...plus it saves you the hassle of having to tell your story a million times to everyone about what you did :) Have you seen any hot french guys over there (hehe just kidding nate:)? The pics are great, I love the one of you and Margie. Still cant believe you are in Europe, love you tons!
5th September 2006

Bonjour
Hey Lisa!! I'm glad to hear things are going so well - your pics and your blog are great. I am looking forward to reading this throughout the next 5 weeks. Have lots of fun!
5th September 2006

Paris
Looks like the two of you are having fun and staying busy. A little art education is always good for you. Have fun in Amsterdam and watch out for the "Red Light District." Stay safe and look out for each other. We love you and miss you.
6th September 2006

Paris
Great hearing from you and getting an update. Sounds like you aclimated real fast to the traveling life. I can see that the "Schwalm exploring genes" are well expressed in you. Isn't it fun just walking around a new city and seeing how different and beautiful it is! Colored awnings, flowers everywhere, street side cafes, and wide avenues. Amsterdam will be very different -- the cobble streets, the harbor area, pastry shops, and the strange boats on the canals are what I remember the most. Don't buy any wooden shoes or get any wooden nickles. It will be interesting to hear about the hostels and the hostel subculture of travelers in Europe from your perspective. They should be interesting and give you an interesting perspective of the city. Love, Dad.
7th September 2006

Tu es artiste!
Lisa - I am SO impressed with your photography - the lights at Notre Dame and the Tour Eiffel sont magnifiques! Merci pour le update!
7th September 2006

hey there!!! looks like you are having a blast. i especially like the pic of the imitation of the statue... have you seen those ppl on the street that dress up like famous statues and stand perfectly still forever. that is skill. anyways it looks like things are going great over there. cant wait for the next blog update/// love ya
8th September 2006

Paris
great pictures!! i'm so glad you're getting to see so many places!
12th October 2006

Oh my, the photos
So, in that statue photo, we both did a really bad job. How did that happen?

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb