Our heads are finally clear enough to type out a blog, so we did.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 17th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hey everyone, sorry for the big delat between messages. Currently we are in Paris, and typing this from an internet cafe in Versailles. Since the last entry a lot of ground has been covered. We went to the Berlin Zoo and saw Checkpoint Charlie, a real highlight for dave as a international relations major. He wouldnt stop talking about the important political history of the place, no matter how much he was asked not too. Then we took the slowest train in the world to amsterdam with only our new favorite game, guess the tourists nationality, to keep us occupied.

Once getting to Amsterdam we checked into our hostel and started to wander the streets eager to see what the city was all about. Things start to get foggy there, and we spent the next five or six hours wondering if it would be possibe to dance from one end of a rainbow to the other and why doritos taste so amazingly good. very strange. the next day we continued on our quest to become more cultured and toured the rijksmuseum, admiring the verneers and rembrandts and having heated debates on impressionism versus post impressionism. After all this heady talk we realized it was necessary to go out that night and kill some brain cells so we made our way to a bar called the milky way and showed the americans from our hostel why canadians deserve the smooth, suave reputation we have. The last day in amsterdam we walked to the van gogh musuem (again, cultured) and took in the sights of the infamous red light district. We both wondered how it got the reputation it has because all the girls seemed so friendly, waving and smiling all 24 times we walked by. All good things have to come to an end and after seeing the numerous bums everywhere we knew it was time to leave before jordan took up the bongos and dave started interpretive dancing to go with it, so we boarded the train to antwerp.

Antwerp, the old kunas stomping grounds. It was kind of nice to know where everything was and for dave to constantly show off his flemish skills, even though our only real destination was back to the old irish times bar. Carl was in town at the same time too, so after one night of discussion we convinced him to meet us in Australia in the new year and come travelling for a bit. Two canadians and a swede in the oz sounds pretty unstoppable to us. Carl even invited us for dinner the next night at the Carlssons, where we met the family and discussed peter foresburgs goal in 1994 and the 2010 olympics over pizza and beer. Another night was spent at the Times with a bunch of americans there for a 'semester at sea' (google it and see why we where mad we didnt hear about it till now) and in the morning took the train to ol paris.

Ahhh paris, french people refusing to speak to us everywhere. Eventually we found the hotel and made it to the louve (the amount of culture is getting ridiculous) and spent four hours touring that massive place. Pretty amazing place actually, even with the overhype that is the mona lisa. After that we spent a while in the Notre Dame and admired the greatest phalic symbol of them all, the Eiffel Tower. And if two guys at the Eiffel Tower at night isnt gay enough, it alternated between pretty sparkling lights and a romantic blue hue. Also, it is surrounded by french people who have no reservations with public displays of affection. Today we went to versailles to see louis old place, and how it is probably the most elaborate house/garden set up in the world. We took some pictures, but it is another one of those places you have to see in person. Geneva tomorrow to stay with friends, so have fun at camp everyone (cant believe we are missing cooks night tonight) so do a skoal for us and talk to you later. Kisses!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb