Ich bin ein Berliner, or why Dave had the weirdest birthday ever...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Happy Birthday Dave, lets go to a... Nazi death camp. After an awesome time in Riga, we took a horrible bus journey through to Warsaw. Full of Poles and Latvians, we managed to make a quick stop in Lithuania (Dave's old stomping ground) and end up in Warsaw, for about 10 minutes. Due to some very bad reviews from friends in Riga, and what we saw when we first headed in on the bus, the concrete was too much so we caught a quick train to Krakow. Definitely the nicest city we've seen in Poland (out of two), we spent our first night eating as many pierogis as possible, tastiest pierogis ever, and went to the old castle district which was very impressive. The pints that cost the equivalent of 50 cents made it a bit more enjoyable. And for Dave's birthday dinner we went down to the old town and ate a massive meal of, you guessed it, pierogis. Also shared a bottle of wine, which ranks up there with two men in a boat in terms of gay moments of the trip.

For Dave's 22nd birthday, Jord gave him a real treat, waking him up at 08:00 in the morning and dragging him to Auschwitz. Auschwitz was... well Auschwitz. Great way to spend the day. Fortunately though things picked up that night as we bought a bottle of cheap Polish vodka, or hooch, and made our way to Berlin in our overnight sleeper. Many jokes were made regarding our midnight train from Auschwitz to Berlin (sounds like a spy novel or Bond flick). So after a good nights sleep we woke up in BERLIN, said in strong German accents that hasn't stopped through our whole stay.

So far Germany has been very ummm efficient. Voorsprung, durch techniek, all that stuff. Berlin itself is an amazing city, the Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Victory Monument, Potzdamer Platz, the remnants of the wall, etc... Today we went to the Berlin Zoo to see Knut the famous polar bear and are heading to Spreepark tonight (to make Marshall Watson happy). There's also a building close to us called Erotikmuseum Club 69, our German isn't that good so we'll probably go check that out. Tonight it sound like we'll be going to Zee German Disco Party, so think of us in our white jeans, slicked back hair, and open shirts. Anyways we're off to Amsterdam tomorrow (for Dave's real birthday party), so expect a much more relaxed, fun loving entry. Speak to you soon and love and miss you all! P.s. leave some comments or messages, we need some goss we've already ran out of things to talk about.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb